SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Color Matching... Input Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

51U Is the RPO Code for Pewter... 382E Is the paint Code...

RPO and paint code are 2 different things... RPO is Used at the Dealership and Paint Code is used everywhere else...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beastmode
def pewter. paint those, and ive seen ppl lately smoothing the rear bumper plastics and painting them... that with the little stripe along the bottom of the tailgate that GM never would look bad ***
Yeah have the rear in mind also. Don't think I will do the chrome bumper portion though. Smoothing the texture is a PITA. My poor fingers are pissed at me. I am going to have to invest in something to help sanding for the bigger pannels.

Some have said to just pump on a lot of primer but I tried it and after the primer dried it sank back into the texture and could see it?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevydudesixty9

RPO and paint code are 2 different things... RPO is Used at the Dealership and Paint Code is used everywhere else...
That makes sense.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Yeah have the rear in mind also. Don't think I will do the chrome bumper portion though. Smoothing the texture is a PITA. My poor fingers are pissed at me. I am going to have to invest in something to help sanding for the bigger pannels.

Some have said to just pump on a lot of primer but I tried it and after the primer dried it sank back into the texture and could see it?
Oh ya i def wouldnt paint the chrome... i think it would look better with the plastics pewter and the bumper left chrome

thats what ive always done when painting textured stuff... just hit it wit alot of primer and after time it just fills it in... then i even do it wit the color and clear to. just keep an eye out for runs, but more importantly LET IT DRY i cant tell you how many times ive mess **** up because i couldnt wait to see waht it looked like
Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevydudesixty9

FWIW, 51U is for the carmine/dark toreador red. Pewter is a different code.

And also just so you know, the 2 times I've bought paint, they used the 51U RPO code to mix it for me. Autozone/Pepboys/etc also use the 51U RPO code as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by beastmode
Oh ya i def wouldnt paint the chrome... i think it would look better with the plastics pewter and the bumper left chrome

thats what ive always done when painting textured stuff... just hit it wit alot of primer and after time it just fills it in... then i even do it wit the color and clear to. just keep an eye out for runs, but more importantly LET IT DRY i cant tell you how many times ive mess **** up because i couldnt wait to see waht it looked like
Amen on letting the crap dry. I'm the same way. I've only done the front emblem, rear handle and driver handle so far. Messed every one of them up not letting crap get dry. Doing the passenger handle tonight. Maybe I'll learn.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by endo
...and also have the tailgate hit so the two tone continues around the back.

Werd /\
I forgot that Chevy doesn't continue the 2-tone on the tailgate. Why the hell is that? My 98 wasn't like that. It was red and pewter, but it matched the line all the way around.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't go through every post on here, but if you're painting that stuff, buy the paintable parts. It makes a big difference. They make non-chrome gm bumpers that are paintable as well as the bumper cap in the front. My rear bumper is the paintable gm as well as the front bumper cap. It will help to use them instead so that you don't get pealing down the road.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by pewter2door
Werd /\
I forgot that Chevy doesn't continue the 2-tone on the tailgate. Why the hell is that? My 98 wasn't like that. It was red and pewter, but it matched the line all the way around.
i think that has something to do wit swapping gate purposes... down the road you got to buy a gate replacement at a junkyard for a black truck but all they have is black wit a pewter stripe across the bottom cause the truck they got it off of was two-tone. i know its kinda a stupid concept but why would they put SS badges on a cobalt

that and cost maybe
Old 11-30-2007, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I could make a suggestion,

After you paint the top bumper cap, get a black valance from the 06 silverado's, part number is on here somewhere I think. It will match all the other black plastic on your truck. I don't why that damn thing was grey in the first place lol.

Quick Reply: Color Matching... Input Please