Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

damn rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damn rattles

any of you ecsb guys have problems with the dash/doors rattling/squeeking? any of ya'll know any quick fixes?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

just part of it pretty much... i know when its real cold it will sqeek like a bitch..
Old 03-07-2009, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

mine does to
idk wat it is
Old 03-07-2009, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

what ever it is, it drives me insane! I'm thinking of filling my doors and dash full of that expanding foam. lol. yeah right. Idk either, i've tried everything like stuffing rags, lubricating everything. tightening down with bolts/tape/screws/bungie cords.
No one has any tips?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol not that know of all 3 off my trucks have done it..
Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Damn mine does too! I'm noticing mine is coming mostly from the left rear door panel. More squeaks then rattles on my end tho.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Z71 is the worst!!! The doors sound like they're 20 yrs old or something....I need to replace the straps again. The dash makes a popping noise at highway speed...either that or it's the windshield??? But, I really don't care since it's the work truck.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't noticed many rattles from my doors, but my dash rattles pretty bad. When I had the combo meter/radio bezel off, I noticed that the front of the dash just had little plastic tabs that slide into slots to hold the front of the dash in, well one of my plastic tabs is broken. I don't feel like and can't afford a new dash pad so I just live with it for now

You guys with the door squeaks/rattles might be able to fix your problems with some 1mm felt, I use this alot at work (Lexus Dealership) to fix interior rattles. We have a "noise kit" that includes a couple different sheets of different thickness felt that has adhesive on one side, as well as foam that's constructed the same way. First you need to determine where the noise is coming from (if it's on the passenger's side, you'll need someone to drive while you listen), and you may have to push/pull/tap the suspect panel to see if the noise changes. Sometimes a panel will leave "witness marks" where it's rubbing and squeaking. Well, once you figure it out, remove the panel and install some of the 1mm felt on the affected area and your noise should go away.

I don't know where this felt is available to the public, but I'm sure that a google search would yield some good results. I wouldn't doubt that it could be found on ebay.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Clean all your weatherstrips and soak them down with WD-40 or get GM dielectric grease and paste it on. This is not a permanent fix but cleaning and maintaining these will keep the noise away for 6-8 months. I do this for customers and explain what is happening. Slip stick of weatherstrips.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

do any of yall's door panels sound like it's crackling when you pull on the handle from the inside to pull the door shut? mine makes the noise with the slightest tug.

Ya'll have any quick fixes for the rear windows leaking air at highway speeds?

Quick Reply: damn rattles