Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing Big Red

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing Big Red

After doing a lot of other vehicles this spring, I finally made some time for my own truck. It had light-to-moderate swirls and some water spotting, but otherwise was in pretty good shape. I had to fight Mother Nature over two days (30 and 40mph winds, respectively) but I got the work done. Unfortunately, I didn't capture a lot of 'during' pics, and I wasn't really happy with the ones I did get.

Products & Process
Poorboy's Bio APC (4:1) on wells, tires, & wheels
Foam gun & two bucket w/ Duragloss 903
Four Star clay w/ Optimum No Rinse lube
Quick wash w/ ONR
PC: Menzerna SIP w/ 4" LC orange (except for 3M film)
PC: Menzerna PO85RD w/ 4" LC white (including 3M film)
Foam gun & quick wash w/ Duragloss 903
PC: Wolfgang DGPS w/ 4" LC red (+ hand w/ foam on tight areas)
Wipe-down w/ Poorboy's S&W
Pinnacle Souveran by hand w/ foam
Zaino Z16 on tires - two light coats + MF wipe
Zaino Z16 on fender liners w/ residue on rear bumper & running board pads

Now to the ****.

Foam gun:

Before polish:

That one was kind of useless, actually - it doesn't really display the swirls and light marring in the fender, but it's the best I could get. This one is a bit better:

Hood, after SIP. I was actually tempted (for a second...detailing in the bright sun and high winds sorta' sucks) to skip the final polish - I was amazed at how well the SIP finished.

Hood & fender, after PO85RD. I love this stuff, but don't use it all that much because FPII is so awesome. However, the 85 left the finish looking really good and I couldn't justify the time to go even more fine with the polishing effort.

After Wolfgang DGPS:

I was REALLY impressed with this sealant. It's the first time I've used it - it was kind of an impulse buy @ Autogeek. They were blowing it out after introducing a new formula. I'd seen this on a few cars & trucks that Rick & Synergy detailed, and liked the results. If I didn't know better, I would've thought I'd applied a carnauba. Very wet, but with lots of pop from the metallic. And the finish is very slick. Definitely a good purchase, and I will be using this stuff often. Some more pics:

And finally, some true "after" shots - Pinnacle Souveran (and Zaino Z16...I LOVE this dressing) happiness.

I'm pretty happy with the results. There are a few deep scratches that I wanted to attack and I would've liked to have applied a Wolfgang glaze ahead of the sealant, but unfortunately the timing and the weather prevented me from getting there.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dayum! good work!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Damm that looks,AWESOME!!! Side note I use to live in Daly City.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Good work! I haven't done anything that nice to my truck in like a year.

Dustin
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy crap that thing is big. Outstanding job. Makes me feel guilty for not cleaning my little toy more often. How long did it take you?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

i was curious on time also, i detailed(well cleaned and waxed really well) a suburban and it took me forever!!! its worth the time though, the day i detail my vehicles is the day i get compliments at gas stations. people notice when your exceptionally clean.

Good job it looks Great!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

thats alot of paint! good work
Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, nice work! I bet that thing took you a while, but it looks like it was worth it. I know when I detailed my dually it wore me out, and it doesn't have as big a roof as that denali, but it may be a little longer. None the less, it looks great!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, fellas! Hard to measure exactly, but I spent two hours washing and claying (which included the wheels, tires & wells). I'd guess I invested a little over four hours in the polishing...which included taping and an extra pass here and there. The LSP's probably took a bit over an hour, but that doesn't include the 30-minute setup time for the sealant and an overnight curing period before applying the wax. That setup time made it convenient to finish the interior, apply dressings, etc.

That is one long roof though, let me tellya! Especially in the bright sun and high wind...I never thought I'd get off the step stool.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

nice work as always jerry . i wish i had someone near me that knows how to detail like that. i had a guy that did mine well but he is mia.

he also had a foam gun and that is one of the coolest things ever.

Quick Reply: Detailing Big Red