Sponsored by:

Detailing products- got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing products- got some questions

i have been detailing cars on the side for almost two years now and i primarily
use Mothers products. i never really wanted to go to in depth into detailing. most cars take me between 2 and 3 hours for the outside and 1 to 1.5 for the inside and i get very good results. what would you guys recommend for cleaners and waxes and the like instead of the mothers if i wanna really go the extra mile on my own vehicle. also, where do you guys usually buy the stuff.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

chemical guys....
Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Tons of great products and vendors out there. I recommend starting at the big detailing sites - autopia, autogeek, etc. There's also a terrific vendor not too far from you - detailedimage. Add dot org, dot net, and dot com to those three names for more info.

Now...extra mile. That's a really wide range. Do you want to work by hand, or are you considering some paint correction effort by machine? What's your current process? That's probably the best way to give you some good answers.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm working by hand. my usual process is a wash, dry, clay bar, wash, dry, sealer, wax and finally a hand buff. also wax all the windows, polish the plastics and crome and rims. tire shine as the last thing.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

A couple of products you may want to add...

1. Paint cleanser. Poorboy's Professional Polish is a good one, as is Four Star Ultimate Paint Cleanser. Or, OTC - something like Mother's Pre-wax cleaner or Meguiar's Deep Crystal cleaner. Basically, this is a very mild polish (usually chemical, sometimes abrasive) that preps the finish for sealants and wax. You'd apply this after claying the finish.

2. Finishing Glaze. You may already be using Mothers UWS, but there are many others out there. A glaze will fill in light swirls (and very light scratches), giving the finish a wet, reflective look. This is a great product to use on dark colors, where swirl marks really stand out. You'd generally use this in advance of your sealer, but there are some variables at play. Since you're working by hand a combo product (a la Mothers UWS, Klasse AIO, or even Zaino AIO, if you've considered trying their products, might be best.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think i will go to my local auo parts store and just get the entire mothers arsenal. i know they have cleaners and glazes that i havent tried yet. if that doesnt look good enough i will check out the other sites/products recommended. thanks for the help. it was looking at your truck in the other thread that got me thinking about putting that kind of attention into my truck. also, tell me a little about this foam gun, how does it work, and what do they cost, seems pretty cool.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

The foam gun is a great tool - it's a terrific way to gently clean a vehicle, particularly a really dirty one. A good gun goes for about $60. It's also nice to have quick-disconnect fittings on your hose & nozzles so the switchover goes more quickly. Basically, you mix a ratio of soap & water into the bottle (how much depends on what soap you're using) and spray away. This can be the whole vehicle, just the tires & wells, or whatever you're working on. After that you can use the two-bucket method or continue using the foam gun with a good mitt and a rinse bucket.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

poorboys products

gilmar glass detailing is a distributor
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on your posted routine I assume you're not looking to actually do in depth details. Don't bother with any polishes since it will take you 8+ in polishing alone to do it by hand.

I'm a big fan of the poorboy's line. Their sealers are great.

Honestly, I've found the best prices using Amazon.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zaino works pretty good for me..

John

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 06-17-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Detailing products- got some questions