SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my own window tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would seriously recommend doing it yourself if you are patient. Its pretty simple, and since its delicate it can be frustrating but you cant beat the price at all. I regret paying someone to tint my front windows now...I paid $80 bucks lol
Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** they get 140 to do a truck here.. Did it come with the app squeegee?? And honestly is there any bubbles in your tint or did it all come out. I have the patience of a brick, well sometimes lol
Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

it does not come with any of the installation stuff, for that I went to walmart and bought the $10 black magic kit, came with the squeegee, low lint towel, slip solution in a spray bottle and DVD

As for the work itself, there are no bubbles or creases anywhere, there are however some very small little bumps if you look closely along some of the edges where I had peeled it back a time or two that are hardly noticable. those little bumps are also on my truck from a pro, so I dunno.

The rear window was extremely difficult to do with only one person, one half of the window looked great but the other half started looking like crap during the squeegee process and made a few wrinkles and ended up on the floor lol.so when my new one comes in my buddy is going to help hold it and what not. the rear passenger window also has a little oops, the tint tore on the bottom of the window when I was trying to get it under the weather seal so thats the other tint I am re-ordering that was also the first window I tried though.

All and all the tint job is at 99% I would say, (once those two are fixed) but no bubbles or anything on the rear side windows that have the antenna in them
Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok great.. Yah I will clean my windows with a water and alky mix first. I have a squeegee so I should be good to go.. You just wet the windows, try to get the tint on as close as possible.. I did a few in the past, but was back in the day when you had to cut the **** to fit.. NOW THAT WAS A PITFA..
Old 02-14-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea F that noise, yea you just use the slip solution on the tint itself, and window, put the tint on so it can slide around and then I put the slip solution on the outside of the tint to make it easier to squeegee

I dont regret doing it at all, I would highly recommend it and would do it again
Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great!

I just order some for my truck also, I have to go threw inspection and I have to take my tint off to pass. Around here its like 60 to 100 bucks to have it done, it just depends on how much you BS the guy and what not.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man, yea inspection is gay. maybe this time no one will break in, or if they do-it will be a lot easier to clean up....
Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the link! i was just about to get mine done for 80-100 lol this just saved me some money.....
Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 PM
something else

Originally Posted by venomhp
thanks man, yea inspection is gay. maybe this time no one will break in, or if they do-it will be a lot easier to clean up....
Did you see they have a shatter proof tint?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...Q5fAccessories

Looks awesome!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea I want that stuff lol

Quick Reply: Did my own window tint