Sponsored by:

Doors Lock Automatically

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read in another post that you could change the way it locks
on 2000 and newer trucks. The post said it showed how to do
in owners manual. Lucky me I don't have an owners manual.
I would just like to eliminate the auto lock.
Or change it to auto lock at 130 MPH

Any help appreciated
Old 12-05-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Look in the owners manual. It tells you how to disable the automatic door lock. I did mine myself.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

It puts the lotion on itself..........
Old 12-05-2004, 08:57 PM
14 Second Truck Club

It does unlock. On mine if I push the key in when I park it will unlock.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:16 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Thanks for all the replies guys. My truck is a 1999, so it looks like I'll have to visit my local dealer in order to have it undone. Anybody have an idea of what this will cost me?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like my 04, it came from the dealer with it so it only locks the doors in gear, and unlocks them when you put it in park, kinda cool i think. Unlike some primitive alarm systems that used to lock the doors when the car started, and would relock them if you unlocked them................my buddies g/f had that on her 91 Z28, and she had a on/off switch for her electric fans...well, one day she started the car, didn't turn on the fans, and closed the door, called frantically to tell us, when we got to her house the damn thing was overheating and steaming..................luckily on newer f-bodies, you can pry out the window to get at the lock/unlock switch, so we saved the car from overheating and blowing up.........funny as hell though.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

900Z1, I will check out my 00 manual tomorrow and see if I can scan you the instructions.

On mine they lock at about 15mph and then unlock only after you remove the key; not when it's in Park. That's the way it came from the dealer so I left it like that.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From the service manual:

The vehicle left the factory programmed to automatically lock all doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK(P), and all doors unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK(P).

If the vehicle has a manual transmission, it left the factory programmed to lock all doors when the vehicle speed is greater than 24km/h (15mph) for two seconds, and unlock all doors once the key is removed from the ignition.

The following instructions detail how to enter the programming mode for the power door lock feature:
1. Begin with the ignition in OFF. Then pull the signal/multifunction lever all the way toward you and hold it there while you perform the next step.

2. Turn the key to RUN and OFF twice. Then, with the key in OFF, release the turn signal/multifunction lever. Once you do this you will hear the lock switch lock and unlock.

3. You are now ready to program the automatic door locks. Select one of the following four programming options and follow the instructions. You will have 30 seconds to complete programming. If you exceeed the 30 second limit, the locks will automatically lock and unlock to indicate that you have left the program mode. If this occurs, repeat the procedure beginning with step 1. You can exit the program mode any time by turning the ignition to RUN. If the LOCK/UNLOCK switches are not pressed while in the programming mode, the current LOCK/UNLOCK mode will not be modified.

The following is a list of available programming options:

• All doors lock/Only the driver's door unlocks: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the door panel once, and then the unlock side once.
  • All doors lock/All doors unlock: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the door panel once, and then the unlock side twice.
  • All doors lock/None of the doors unlock: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the door panel once, and then the unlock side three times.
  • No doors lock/None of the doors unlock: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the door panel twice. This turns off the automatic door lock feature.
Now, put your left foot in and shake it all about
Old 12-08-2004, 06:15 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Originally Posted by snakeoiler
From the service manual:

The vehicle left the factory programmed to automatically lock all doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK(P), and all doors unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK(P).

If the vehicle has a manual transmission, it left the factory programmed to lock all doors when the vehicle speed is greater than 24km/h (15mph) for two seconds, and unlock all doors once the key is removed from the ignition.

The following instructions detail how to enter the programming mode for the power door lock feature:
1. Begin with the ignition in OFF. Then pull the signal/multifunction lever all the way toward you and hold it there while you perform the next step.

2. Turn the key to RUN and OFF twice. Then, with the key in OFF, release the turn signal/multifunction lever. Once you do this you will hear the lock switch lock and unlock.

3. You are now ready to program the automatic door locks. Select one of the following four programming options and follow the instructions. You will have 30 seconds to complete programming. If you exceeed the 30 second limit, the locks will automatically lock and unlock to indicate that you have left the program mode. If this occurs, repeat the procedure beginning with step 1. You can exit the program mode any time by turning the ignition to RUN. If the LOCK/UNLOCK switches are not pressed while in the programming mode, the current LOCK/UNLOCK mode will not be modified.

The following is a list of available programming options:

• All doors lock/Only the driver's door unlocks: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the door panel once, and then the unlock side once.
  • All doors lock/All doors unlock: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the door panel once, and then the unlock side twice.
  • All doors lock/None of the doors unlock: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the door panel once, and then the unlock side three times.
  • No doors lock/None of the doors unlock: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch on the door panel twice. This turns off the automatic door lock feature.
Now, put your left foot in and shake it all about
What happens if I try this on my '99? Will the dashboard burst into flames?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

snakeoiler

The auto locking in now eliminated.
Thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Doors Lock Automatically