Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me about clay bar...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Educate me about clay bar...

I'm gonna be detailing my truck the weekend after next, but I'm not 100% sure about the clay bar technique. How much pressure, if any, do I apply? The Mequire's clay bar that I bought came with 2 individually wrapped pieces of clay, do I use one or combine them? I'm supposed to move the clay in one straight direction, in about 2 foot squares correct? How about polish and wax, straight or circular motion?

My plan is wash, clay, polish, and wax...how long do you think it will take? I've always had someone else detail my vehicles for me, but now that I'm broke I'm doing it myself...any tips from you detailing guru's is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here man this is how I got started, everything you need to know from people who actually do it for a living

www. detailcity .org
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

clay bar is really simple. if you bought the megs over the counter, it will be mild enough to not do any damage. clay will come in different grades, from mothers and megs(light), to sonus (heavy duty). the heavy duty will take more off per swipe, and knocks alot off that others wouldnt, but will leave heavy marring most of the time. keep in mind, if you are polishing(even light duty polish on a PC) if will remove 98% of the marring caused by clay. so first, what color is your truck. a black truck is going to show more marring from the clay than a silver or white for example. its a very simple process. after thoroughly washing your truck, you can clay it while it is still wet. if you are in the shade, it works really well and takes half the time. if no shade, you can dry your truck and clay with lots of detail spray or clay lube.(don't quit sprayin, it makes the job so much easier). it doesnt matter what direction you work, as long as you flip and fold the clay periodically and work an area till it is smooth as silk. good luck, and don't drop it on the ground!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks guys My truck is black, and I plan to set up a canopy to be in the shade. I bought Meguiar's products at AutoZone...I have their Quick Detailer to use as the lubricant for the clay, will that be OK?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Yep. and it doesnt take much pressure as you go you will feel the rough spots, just keep it wet until its smooth, polish then wax and enjoy!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'm gonna be detailing my truck the weekend after next, but I'm not 100% sure about the clay bar technique. How much pressure, if any, do I apply? The Mequire's clay bar that I bought came with 2 individually wrapped pieces of clay, do I use one or combine them? I'm supposed to move the clay in one straight direction, in about 2 foot squares correct? How about polish and wax, straight or circular motion?

My plan is wash, clay, polish, and wax...how long do you think it will take? I've always had someone else detail my vehicles for me, but now that I'm broke I'm doing it myself...any tips from you detailing guru's is greatly appreciated!
Use minimal pressure when claying. Too much pressure will result in marring. Also make sure you use plenty of quick Detailer to keep the clay bar lubricated when moving across the paint. If you feel the clay bar grab, it's time for more lube. Use one of the bars at a time. You may even want to break them each into two bars in case you accidentally drop one. I usually use a combination of straight line and circular motions.

What are you using for polish? What about wax? I usually apply waxes/sealants in circular motions since you want to work them in a little bit to make sure you end up with a nice thin coat.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Baltimore Whore

Just use the bar and the bottle of wax,(liquid) that comes with it, spray the liquid on the truck, just lightly rub the the bar on the truck. You will feel it cleaning, when it needs more spray.. Pretty simple.

John
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
What are you using for polish? What about wax?
They're both Meguiar's stuff, Deep Crystal Polish and NXT Generation Wax...anyone use the Meguiar's products?

Thanks again for all of the great tips
Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
They're both Meguiar's stuff, Deep Crystal Polish and NXT Generation Wax...anyone use the Meguiar's products?

Thanks again for all of the great tips
Yeah I've used both. Deep Drystal polish is really a glaze like their #7 Show Car Glaze. It will look pretty good and fill in a few swirls but honestly I would just skip it and go straight to the NXT. NXT is pretty good stuff and it looks awesome on black.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I think it's the Deep Crystal, can't remember...if it is I guess that's one less step that I have to do

Quick Reply: Educate me about clay bar...