SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me about clay bar...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that first time is a bitch! It gets better, though. I can wash my truck, clean and dress the wheels and tires and hit it with a spray wax in about an hour now.

I would ditch the absorber in favor of a microfiber drying towel. Most auto parts stores carry Meguiars Water Magnets. If you have KMart in your area they carry Viking drying towels (very nice) and Target carries Vroom brand drying towels.

I demand pictures!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:30 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
Yeah, that first time is a bitch! It gets better, though. I can wash my truck, clean and dress the wheels and tires and hit it with a spray wax in about an hour now.

I would ditch the absorber in favor of a microfiber drying towel. Most auto parts stores carry Meguiars Water Magnets. If you have KMart in your area they carry Viking drying towels (very nice) and Target carries Vroom brand drying towels.

I demand pictures!
Thank you very much, I really dislike the absorber, it doesn't work for poop! I would have had some pics but my digital camera disappeared. I bought a digital throw away and will try to get some pics today if it doesn't rain, but I'll have to get them "developed".
Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you did a bang up job!!! Its funny, I also started out with the Megs 3 step products. I went and did some research and found autopia.org. Its been down hill eversince. I now have a Hitachi rotary, tons of Edge pads, a million microfibers and enough chemicals to last a lifetime. I love the feeling of a properly clean, polished and protected ride!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

i also started using megs stuff and now we have a cabinet built in the garage just for the stuff for me to wash cars, most of it i have to much to ever be able to use but i still get excited when i see something i like and buy it
Old 06-29-2008, 08:07 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to detailing...I gotta say it's alot different smelling like polish and wax at the end of the day as opposed to grease and oil lol. I was able to get some pics before the thunder storms rolled in, the throw away digital is pretty crappy though.

The dirty beast before:

Under the canopy, all done

A reflection of the canopy in the hood

At the park

Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
... the deep polish will give it a little something extra, it really makes the paint look wet, but after a wash or two it goes away.
Is there a way to extend the shine beyond a wash or 2? Or do u have to go to different poducts?

Originally Posted by budhayes3
My paint is slick as ice now though...curious to see how long it lasts.
+1. Bud, those r some nice shots @ park. Truck looks really good.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah apply a real polish! glazes are a bandaid, dealerships use them soo cars look real good going off the lot instead of spending the time to actually polish them.
so if you want the car to really shine for a show or something glaze will work great.

but if you want a lasting shine and to really remove those swirls spend some time with a buffer and a quality polish
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teal, ya I'm familiar that glaze just temporarily masks a problem. Trouble is, I used to work w/ fresh paint jobs only in a show car atmosphere. What works on them is different than on my DD. Sadly, I started on my hood some time ago w/ a buffer & didn't make it too far due to either weather/ & or time restraints. Now, the water doesn't bead up & my finish looks like ****. I think I might just clay bar my 04 from end to end. Wax it for 1st time would be a good followup.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Any recommendations on a good polish? (for future reference) I've read alot about Zaino and Poorboys...
Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

I like Chemical Guys Scratch and Swirl Buff, Followed with Final polish and topped with whatever wax you like

Quick Reply: Educate me about clay bar...