SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me about clay bar...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used 3m rubbing compound for wet sanding marks,and deep scratches then 3m finess-it II takes alot of the finer swirls out then follow it with a good wax
Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
i used 3m rubbing compound for wet sanding marks,and deep scratches then 3m finess-it II takes alot of the finer swirls out then follow it with a good wax
That's what I used on mine. At least on the hood, & to remove various scratches, incl. when I removed cladding/ emblems.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

the perfect it and finesse it line are really nice but if you are looking for something EASY, the menzerna line is for you. the intense polish is so smooth when applied with a pc and orange pad(in the shade of course) then finish it up with menzerna final polish with a white pad. very simple to use and incredible results. almost care free.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

3m deffinatly wasnt easy im thinking about tryin menzerna ive heard good things!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wesley_burks
the perfect it and finesse it line are really nice but if you are looking for something EASY, the menzerna line is for you. the intense polish is so smooth when applied with a pc and orange pad(in the shade of course) then finish it up with menzerna final polish with a white pad. very simple to use and incredible results. almost care free.
Applied w/ a pc? Pc stands for?
I've read of this Menzerna on here. Does 3m make that too or are they their own brand?

Some of my 3m stuff I got either @ a good price or free.
Is Merzerna expensive?

Can I use my current foam /or wool pads?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

PC=Porter Cable 7424(google that) if you want to do it right thats the tool im buying one in a few weeks

mezerna is its own brand, not sure on price

you can use your pads again if they are real clean, but wouldnt hurt to buy fresh ones
Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Gotcha. Ya, I have enuff buffers, got 2. My Milwaukee & my older Makita. Plus, I have a mini air polisher. Works good on small, quick spots.

Last edited by fastnblu; 06-30-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

If you have experience with buffers stick with it, im a newb so ill use a PC harder to burn through the clear that way
Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

The Menzerna line is excellent - with PC or rotary. It is a little bit tempermental, though - humidity and extreme temps can make it gum up or at least shorten the working time. IP is awesome, but it won't remove a lot of imperfections - at least not with the PC. SIP is a bit stronger, and is my go-to with the orange pad. You can even finish with IP or 85RD with a white pad for great results. When doing correction, I generally add a small dollup of 85RD or FPII to SIP for more working time.

Here's a shot of my hood after SIP w/ 4" orange via PC:

After 85RD w/ 4" white the finish was ready for LSP:

For folks just getting into polishing with the PC, I'd recommend the Poorboy's SSR line. It's very forgiving, can be used in sunlight (if needed...shade/garage is always better), and is really intuitive - easy to know exactly when the product has broken down. IME SSR 2.5 is about the equivalent of Menzerna IP in terms of aggressiveness, although IP does give you much longer working time.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:48 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked out Zaino's and Poorboy's websites last night and did some reading, Zaino seems like it's alot of work, but good results. I like the looks of the Poorboy's stuff that has polish and wax combined...perfect for a lazy butt like myself lol.

Saw a buffer on Harbor Freight's website for $20...made by Chicago or something like that...

Your hood looks awesome Vroom Vroom

Quick Reply: Educate me about clay bar...