SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got around to completing it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got around to completing it...

Blue LED's in the Cluster that is...

I replaced my original 04 cluster with a SS cluster because the stepper motors were chattering and it was annoying me. So I had the stock one sitting around for a while, and I finally put the blue LED's in it. I was harder than I thought, took some time but it looks really good.
The orange needles do not show up well in the picture but in person they are easy to see.
I think if I did this to my SS cluster with the red needles in it, and put red LED's right under the needles it would look sweet.
I think I may swap out all the stepper motors and put the SS needles and face on this one, not sure.

The LED's are SMD PLCC LED's, The good ones are around $4 each. They are VERY small and a pain to work with, they are about 1/8" x 1/8". There are cheaper ones out there, but they are very low grade, and I have had them literally fall apart on me, a few were not even working right out of the box. I have yet to get a bad one from the higher quality $4 ones. It is expensive but this is the only way to do the 03+ Clusters.

Last edited by 04BlackSilverado; 04-03-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks sick. now do mine.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

when those step motors start to give out do they make kind of the same sound as when you first turn the key on and the gauges move ? Did that make sense? My dash some times makes a strange noise sounds like it's from the gauge cluster, somewhat like a chatter or water fall at the same time......it's an 03 and only has 12k miles, I was just wondering if that is what's up or if I'm just hearing things.....sorry kind of off the topic of your dash lights, but it just jogged my memory.

I like the lights though looks good, I think red would look good too...

d
Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by danv
when those step motors start to give out do they make kind of the same sound as when you first turn the key on and the gauges move ? Did that make sense? My dash some times makes a strange noise sounds like it's from the gauge cluster, somewhat like a chatter or water fall at the same time......it's an 03 and only has 12k miles, I was just wondering if that is what's up or if I'm just hearing things.....sorry kind of off the topic of your dash lights, but it just jogged my memory.

I like the lights though looks good, I think red would look good too...

d
That is the problem with the older stepper motors X C5 168. When you turn off the engine and watch the needles, there is a chattering sound when they all go to the left. They will go bad soon or will chatter forever.
The Updated ones are X 25 168 and are fairly easy to replace. I will be doing that next week.

Thanks guys

And Kevin I will, I'll see you at the track this sunday.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
That is the problem with the older stepper motors X C5 168. When you turn off the engine and watch the needles, there is a chattering sound when they all go to the left. They will go bad soon or will chatter forever.
The Updated ones are X 25 168 and are fairly easy to replace. I will be doing that next week.

Thanks guys

yeah let's just hope it doesn't rain. weather right now is calling for a slight chance of rain. hopefully we'll be good.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks good love the blue.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks good Steve
Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Looks real good.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado

Thanks guys

Thanks for the info, at least now I know what that noise is. That and the damn clunk from the intermediate steering shaft. Now I have at least figured out what those noises are I feel better... I thank you again for the information.
d
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That really wakes up the stock gauges. Would the 2002 cluster be alot different or harder to do? I've been wanting to do mine for a while with red or blue LEDs and some clear or white needles if it's possible, just waiting to get a new head unit so I can see what colors will match. How many $4 LED's did you have to buy?

Quick Reply: Finally got around to completing it...