Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

functional cowl hood???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default functional cowl hood???

Does anyone make a functional cowl hood for the 99-02 silverado/ tahoe that doesnt need to be "trimmed" or modified for fit?? Basically I want a Goodmark cowl hood that is functional.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Is the reflexxion hood functional?
Old 09-29-2005, 08:45 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

isnt the goodmark functional? mine has a hole leading down to under the hood. it dosent go to the filter or anything but it lets out alot of engine heat...do a homemade ram air kit for cheap functionality.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
isnt the goodmark functional? mine has a hole leading down to under the hood. it dosent go to the filter or anything but it lets out alot of engine heat...do a homemade ram air kit for cheap functionality.
my setup is different. I have an FMIC on a Vortech T trim. My filter is at the back of the engine bay on the drivers side. What I mean by functional is that some have the back part of the cowl (by the windshield) actually open and there is a little screen that lets air in and out of the engine bay. Does the Goodmark have this as well?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Truck addict

i am in the market and was looking at the flipper hood by keystone and well, they arent worth the money as a functual deal. you need to be going over 90 mph to get any benefit from what i can gather. quarter mile your looking at what? 200ths of a sec at best. my money is going towards a normal c5 cowl hood. yea, looks dept, the flipper hood and ss style hoods look sweet but to me it isn't worth the money.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greentahoe
my setup is different. I have an FMIC on a Vortech T trim. My filter is at the back of the engine bay on the drivers side. What I mean by functional is that some have the back part of the cowl (by the windshield) actually open and there is a little screen that lets air in and out of the engine bay. Does the Goodmark have this as well?
Nothing like that is available off the shelf for us since the manufacturers of these hoods take into account the stock air filter location and create a channel from the ram air/cowl inlet to be funneled down to that location. Maybe you can have a hood modified for your needs?

He is the underside of a Keystone Flipper cowl hood:

Old 10-01-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OBXMarine
Nothing like that is available off the shelf for us since the manufacturers of these hoods take into account the stock air filter location and create a channel from the ram air/cowl inlet to be funneled down to that location. Maybe you can have a hood modified for your needs?

He is the underside of a Keystone Flipper cowl hood:

pic didnt show up for me.
hmmmmm.... that sucks. Hopefully it wont make too much of a difference since Im using a big intercooler and meth.Is it totally solid fiberglass or steel down to the wiper cowl?? I guess I could use a small drill bit and put a bunch of tiny holes in there before it is painted??