Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting closer to painting the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AphotiC
hey man... i dont know IF there is a line yet or not but... wanna two tone my truck for me??? n e ways, from what i have seen, u have done your research and took your time and the end is paying off. good job man!
Thanks. No painting jobs for me for a long while!

Originally Posted by The Breeze
Lol Have a ICE cold Heineken or six once you get it put back together Cause it looks good. Im gonna have my hood shipped to Rogers paint & body shop when I finally buy one.
Yep, finishing this is going to require a good sit down and beer drinking celebration. You better buy that hood pre-painted
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

lookin great man, make sure you wash it before buffing.... Also make sure you wash it inbetween the different compounds and switch out your buffing bonnets... Is the buffer you using a high speed buffer?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
lookin great man, make sure you wash it before buffing.... Also make sure you wash it inbetween the different compounds and switch out your buffing bonnets... Is the buffer you using a high speed buffer?
Thanks Bud. Washing the hell out of it just sanding it. I'll bet I've poured 50 gallon of water over it. Porter Cable Orbital... has numerous speed settings. All the way to 10... Is that high speed?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Porter Cable Orbital... has numerous speed settings. All the way to 10... Is that high speed?
I dunno, I have never used/seen a Porter Cable before...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Resident Retard

so have you worn off all the skin on your fingers? That was the worst feeling... I remember sanding for days at the shop I used to work for and all my fingers had like zero skin on them and they were really sensitive, on the other hand the girl I was dating at the time, liked my hands smooth rather than all rough...
Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
so have you worn off all the skin on your fingers? That was the worst feeling... I remember sanding for days at the shop I used to work for and all my fingers had like zero skin on them and they were really sensitive, on the other hand the girl I was dating at the time, liked my hands smooth rather than all rough...
Yeah I've lost a little skin. The sanding wasn't as rough on them as the paint gun cleaner. I didn't always remember to have some rubber gloves on when handling it. That stuff was major rough on the hands. It actually ate up one set of gloves I had.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A PC buffer is not high speed. its a DA(dual action) buffer which is very safe to use and will NOT burn through paint. its impossible. it may or may not get ALL of the sanding marks out but it will AT LEAST get 90% if not all. what pads did you get? what exact polishes/compounds did you get?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by coldkillinTA
A PC buffer is not high speed. its a DA(dual action) buffer which is very safe to use and will NOT burn through paint. its impossible. it may or may not get ALL of the sanding marks out but it will AT LEAST get 90% if not all. what pads did you get? what exact polishes/compounds did you get?
Exactly why I got a PC. I know it will take more work than a high speed but I'm a novice so.

Here is a picture to one bottle of product line I got for the buffing. 1-4 cut polish. I did read on the bottle last night that the 1 is not for a DA only its for a HS. I've got foam pads, white, blue, orange and black maybe... then shaggy cover of some sort. Don't think its wool.

Last edited by KySilverado; 07-09-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, finishing this is going to require a good sit down and beer drinking celebration. You better buy that hood pre-painted
Haha just messin with ya about the painting my hood I know a guy at the dealer ship up the street that does paint work for me at a good price.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly why I got a PC. I know it will take more work than a high speed but I'm a novice so.

Here is a picture to one bottle of product line I got for the buffing. 1-4 cut polish. I did read on the bottle last night that the 1 is not for a DA only its for a HS. I've got foam pads, white, blue, orange and black maybe... then shaggy cover of some sort. Don't think its wool.

Youre gonna want to do an orange pad (heaviest cut) with your strongest polish. if youre patient enough to order another product, Id highly recommend Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (SIP) with an orange pad. With the PC on setting 1 or 2, spread the polish evenly, then immediately turn it up to 5.5 or 6 and work the polish in going very slow and only using probably 5lbs of pressure on the machine. Youll probably make 3-4 passes (putting more polish on the pad in between). Do this until you cant see anymore sanding marks, then go to a light cut/final polish on the white pad to get rid of any haziness left behind by the SIP. then go strait to you Last Step Process(LSP) sealant, wax, machine glaze, etc. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Getting closer to painting the hood