Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting closer to painting the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyMan23
Definately gonna be a cool project. If your booth idea works, I may be copying you...lol
I was originally thinking about building something in PVC or wood. Walking thru Wally World and they had one of these set up. The light bulb went off. I can even use it when I go to the track and stuff.

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
What are you doing with the hood, Paint wise? Same color? Different?
Same color. I'd like to do a ghost SS style stripe but beyond my skills.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:41 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger thats awsome you are the biggest do it youre selfer ive ever met. My hats off to ya
Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Breeze
Roger thats awsome you are the biggest do it youre selfer ive ever met. My hats off to ya
Hahaha Thanks. Personally I think I'm an idiot. I wish I could afford to pay to have all this stuff done, but it wouldn't be near as much ummmm fun
Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hood off. I got a shot of the offending bubbles.

All projects have that point of no return. I've crossed this one's.

My wife is heading to inlaws for the weekend. Taking the camera. Might not get this documented like I want.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Better get you one of those cheapo disposable cameras for documentation...
Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So are you taking it down to bare metal or painting over the existing paint? What kinda of primer are you using? Are you planning on block sanding it?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Tell her you got a bunch of Big Harley Dudes that want pics of this project. lol
Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by truckmann
Better get you one of those cheapo disposable cameras for documentation...
I remembered I've got an old PDA that will take pictures. Just not very good ones.

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
So are you taking it down to bare metal or painting over the existing paint? What kinda of primer are you using? Are you planning on block sanding it?
Taking it down to metal. The bubbles pulled clear down to whatever primer they used to paint so I figure the offending contaminant is in it. I'm using a 2k Urethane primer. I hadn't planned on block sanding but I'm thinking about doing it now. I don't have any block sanders so I'll have to find some.

Originally Posted by The Breeze
Tell her you got a bunch of Big Harley Dudes that want pics of this project. lol
Harley dudes don't scare my wife They run from her!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Taking it down to metal. The bubbles pulled clear down to whatever primer they used to paint so I figure the offending contaminant is in it. I'm using a 2k Urethane primer. I hadn't planned on block sanding but I'm thinking about doing it now. I don't have any block sanders so I'll have to find some.
This is the type that I used for primer and clear coat sanding at the body shop I used to worked at.... I used the old school method of paint sticks for large flat sections, when they get wet they are more flexible... Just make sure you sand in different directions...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...anding%2Cblock

Also since your taking it down to bare metal you need to seal the paint, an etching primer will work, just make sure it is compatable with urethane that your going to shoot....

IMO I would practice on some scrap you have laying around, make sure to keep the pressure down and the paint wet on the panel, to preven dry spraying...
Old 07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
This is the type that I used for primer and clear coat sanding at the body shop I used to worked at.... I used the old school method of paint sticks for large flat sections, when they get wet they are more flexible... Just make sure you sand in different directions...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...anding%2Cblock

Also since your taking it down to bare metal you need to seal the paint, an etching primer will work, just make sure it is compatable with urethane that your going to shoot....

IMO I would practice on some scrap you have laying around, make sure to keep the pressure down and the paint wet on the panel, to preven dry spraying...
Thanks for the advice. I may not get this done this weekend. Depends on if I can find some epoxy primer. I've read that 2k alone will work but to be safe I'll hit it with the epoxy also. Maybe thats what has this hood screwed up now. It doesn't appear there was any sealer on it... unless that is what the original panel had on it.

I wish I had some panels to practice on. I don't. I did plan on spraying a few swipes on some cardboard or something to adjust the gun and such.

Yeah. I'm in way over my head

Quick Reply: Getting closer to painting the hood