Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to detail the dually and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting ready to detail the dually and have some questions

I finally got my crew cab dually that I have always wanted. It is black and HUGE so I am looking to get into detailing it. I bought an eraser wheel today to get the stripes off and badges. I also bought some 3M medium oxidation remover. I have always used the Mequirer's 3 step cleaner, polish and wax plus a clay bar every year or so. I am open for anything that would be an awesome product for getting the paint up to awesome standards. What does everyone else use? I want some good product that will make my large by huge black truck that much sexier.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM
no title here

I am also interested in getting a buffer as I have been afraid to buy one fear that I would burn the paint. I would like to know what the best buffers are and what pads yall are using.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no detailer by any means, but when I did my truck last year (black truck), I used all of the Meguiars stuff that you mentioned (clay bar, paint cleaner, polish) topped off with some Generation Nxt wax. It looked pretty awesome IMO. Spent a whole weekend doing it, and did it all by hand. As for buffers, I bought a Porter Cable, but have yet to use it. I asked a bunch of questions here last year and that's what I came up with. If you search for an old thread of mine titled "educate my about clay bar", or something like that, you'll find a whole bunch of info I accumulated last summer I think I have a thread floating around about buffers too...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 PM
no title here

I have always used that stuff but I have heard that Zanio was the "best" and was interested in maybe trying it over what I have been using. I guess I will stick with what I know works.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

I use all meguiars at the moment, start with a clay bar, then on to #80 polish, then nxt, then top with #26. Occasionally will use #7 for a little extra bling, for a few washes until it wears out anyways. Seems to give good results, but I'll let you judge

Black dually at that too! I use the porter cable as well, and use edge pads since they are double sided, like 2 pads in 1. Once I use all my megs stuff, I plan to change over and try some other products. I have a few recommendations from a sponsor on gmfullsize.com which I can post if you would like.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Badass

^^
Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i will be detailing my truck soon.. its dark green so its "similar" to black.. i hate high pollen days!!!!! anyone with a dark truck can feel me on this. lol.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

black truck here as well along with michigan winter with lots of salt and road grime...
I use the clay bar, then by hand I use 3M Hand glaze (the old stuff) the newer stuff doesnt work as good, you can get both. then I use the gold class wax or lately I have used the Nxt gen thats good stuff! once a year for this, then just the occasional wax, with spray wax in between (john deere brand)
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Check out Adamspolishes.com I use it and lots of guys on the site are great they have everything you need and their products work the best in my opinion. They are an american company and only sell american made products also they have a 110% guarantee so if you dont like it send it back and you get all your money and then some. Also the owner is Adam Pitale he is on the site almost everyday and he even gave everyone his personal cell number. Great products and great service top notch check it out.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do a search, one polisher that keeps popping up is the porter cable #7424. I'm actually looking for one as well. Budhayes3 would you be interested in selling yours? I apologize for the thread jack.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to detail the dually and have some questions