Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hail Damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viciousknid
I've had hell dents for years. My driverside window vent thing got busted from hail last year.
If it's as big as he's describing I would understand. but some small dings are nothing. It hails a few times a year, i just don't see the point. Welcome to the U.S.

What's really bad is a lot of people will file a claim like that and never even fix the damage, they just spend it on something else.

I secretly hope I hit a deer on my way home one day so I can fix my broken grille. Not bad enough to mess up the truck. just enough to maybe need a hood and grille.
We dont have that **** in Cali lol
Old 05-02-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have personally seen this work.

Put the truck in the sun and let the hood get hot hot. If the heat of the engine is cooler than the suns effect it will be cooling the hood.

Get a 5 gal bucket of ice and let it melt to a slush and douse the hood. I have seen it pop lots of hail dents back out.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had hell dents for years. My driverside window vent thing got busted from hail last year.
If it's as big as he's describing I would understand. but some small dings are nothing. It hails a few times a year, i just don't see the point. Welcome to the U.S.

What's really bad is a lot of people will file a claim like that and never even fix the damage, they just spend it on something else.

I secretly hope I hit a deer on my way home one day so I can fix my broken grille. Not bad enough to mess up the truck. just enough to maybe need a hood and grille.
Wow, you bag on the guys because he wants to use the service that he has been paying for. Insurance is a racket, most of the time you pay and pay for what piece of mind, and some people never use it. Considering what full coverage is on one of these trucks you would be a fool not to file a claim. Then you say you wanna hit a deer so you can get a new hood and grill? I'm confused.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 AM
10 Second Truck Club

This is my personal opinion so don't take it the wrong way. but I can't stand it when people file an insurance claim for Hail Damage. Small little dings are nothing and your making your insurance company dish out thousands just so you can feel better about what you drive. It's no wonder the economy is in the *****. way too much nonsense going on.

That aside I don't know about the carbon fiber hood. is it painted or the carbon fiber look like ricers do?
Yeah, and it really helps resale with the hail dents
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

no sh*t! call the insurance. i had someone key the whole side of my truck.. called the ins. they paid to fix it.. thats what full coverage is for.. i would get it fixed professonally (sp.) i guess i made the economy worse by calling them...
Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Talk with your agent. If you have Comprehensive Coverage it may cover hail damage. My insurance Comprehensive Coverage covers "storms" which I would think a "hail storm" would fall under. I would also ask your agent if you file this type of claim will it raise your premiums, some types of claims do some don't. May or may not be worth it.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I feel your pain, my truck is in with the PDR guy right now after a similar storm about a month ago. Insurance is paying for mine, there were like 50 massive dents on the roof and hood.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is my personal opinion so don't take it the wrong way. but I can't stand it when people file an insurance claim for Hail Damage. Small little dings are nothing and your making your insurance company dish out thousands just so you can feel better about what you drive. It's no wonder the economy is in the *****. way too much nonsense going on.
What? That's the whole purpose of insurance. We pay them so if our vehicles are damaged they will be returned to the condition they were in prior to the damage. That's the whole point of insurance. If anything people filing hail damage claims helps the economy. One way or another they spend the money they get from the insurance company.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murdered_outgmc
Then you say you wanna hit a deer so you can get a new hood and grill? I'm confused.
This.

is way worse than this

However as I stated, If the dents are really bad, then yea go for it.
What I'm pointing out is it's the small ones that don't make a difference since you'll just run into hail again later. A lot of people will get a couple small dings and then file a claim to fix it, just to have another hail storm a few weeks later. It just doesn't make sense. It's like fixing your car between demolition derby's. whats the point?
With what the OP is describing I agree that it's a good idea.

But enough of that. Lets see this hood your wanting.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Well I talked to the insurance Co. I have an appointment to let them see the truck then they will cut me a check for the cost of repairs. They also told me once the truck is there and being repaired if it’s going to cost more than there estimate they will cover the cost. I agree I haven’t filed a claim in over 6 years so I don’t have a problem letting them pay for it, especially on a brand new truck that I have $$$$$ stuck into.

Well rental car here I come, who is up for seeing how much Air I can get with Neon.

Quick Reply: Hail Damage