SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Height chops with Titan wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL ok....so you used WD40 to loosen the glue on the tape? I could try lighter fluid too, that always seems to work well.

I'm mostly worried about paint fade. I hope the paint under the molding isn't significantly darker than the rest
Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
LOL ok....so you used WD40 to loosen the glue on the tape? I could try lighter fluid too, that always seems to work well.

I'm mostly worried about paint fade. I hope the paint under the molding isn't significantly darker than the rest
Claybar and a good buff will make it blend back in no problem. Did mine last year and no issues. You will be happy you did it!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
High on diesel fumes

Cool, thanks for the help
Old 03-31-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lower!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, WD-40 makes a pretty good mess. I recommend using 3M adhesive remover - you can get this at hardware stores if your local parts shop doesn't carry it. A good hour in the Phoenix sun, soak in some adhesive remover behind the pieces, and use a plastic putty knife (lubricated with QD spray or a mild soap & water solution) to peel off the pieces. A bit of patience, and if necessary some more heat from a blow dryer, and you'll be done before you know it.

There shouldn't be any discoloration unless there's a problem with your clearcoat. A clay bar will help remove any stubborn residue, and you can also use a mild paint polish or cleanser. Follow up with your favorite wax and enjoy the new look.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I like the 'stock height' look you posted. The 'lifted' hight would be good with a little larger tire.
Question about the wheels though... What are you doing about the Nissan center caps? How does the offset look on a GM truck?
I really like the look of those wheels and wouldn't mind putting some on my Tahoe.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:20 PM
High on diesel fumes

More good advice, you guys are a great help

The Nissan logo on the center cap pops right off, it's just clipped into place. There is a slight indentation that I need to find a remedy for, and the holes from the clips. I'll figure that out later....might be a good candidate for some body filler and a Duplicolor rattle can. Offset looks fine to me....I can take some more pics once I get good tires on the new wheels and mount them up for good.

FWIW...the "lifted" height is where the truck is right now. I'm going down from there.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

clean keep it clean........The first I do when I buy a new truck is take every decal and emblem off. mainly the dealership stickers..oh and slam that truck. you dont get nose bleeds way up there?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 PM
High on diesel fumes

LMAO....

I agree 100% with the dealership stickers. Those came off the first night I had the truck.

I left the others on because I don't think that higher-than-stock height trucks look right without them. Now that she's gonna come down a few inches I don't feel bad taking them off.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunder550
LMAO....

I agree 100% with the dealership stickers. Those came off the first night I had the truck.

I left the others on because I don't think that higher-than-stock height trucks look right without them. Now that she's gonna come down a few inches I don't feel bad taking them off.
I peeled my dealer sticker off in front of the salesman before I drove it off the lot.

Quick Reply: Height chops with Titan wheels