SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get these darn water spots off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me get these darn water spots off!!!

Okay, just like the title says, what do I do to get these water spots off my truck? I spent 3 hours the other night and removed 90% of the water spots with a combo of vinegar and distilled water and it looks great from 2 feet away. However with as picky as I am, if I look into the sun on the hood I can see see little traces and halo's left by the water spots that the vinegar/water combo won't clean. I then tried another good wash followed by a claybar treatment (another hour) and then a waxjob. The halo's are still stuck there. If you try to feel the little waterspot halo's with your fingernail you can't. I think they're already etched into the clearcoat. What would I want to use now? A glaze? If so, what kind? Does Zaino make a product for this? I'm lost and I really don't feel like taking my clearcoat down a notch to get rid of the water spots. If I leave it alone as it is, will the water spots eat further down or has the extent of the damage already occured?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you've taken all the "first step" measures. Glazes and Zaino will not remove the water spots. A glaze may help to cover them up, but Zaino usually magnifies existing paint imperfections. If you want to get rid of them you will need to try an abrasive (although I know that's what you said you did NOT want to do). Meguiar's ScratchX may get them out -- it is a very mild abrasive with some fillers, and is available just about anywhere that sells automotive products. Look for the black tube with a big red X on it. Other than that, you'll probably have to step up to a some sort of swirl mark remover.

It may be, like you said, that the spots are actually etched into the finish and nothing short of an abrasive compound will remove them. I've had good luck getting out stubborn spots with Meguiar's #2 Fine Cut Cleaner and a PC orbital polisher.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used some claybar and it left a clear mirror finish.