Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Tahoe rollpan

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Tahoe rollpan

The bodyshop at the dealership wont trim the frame rails to do the install. Is this something I can do myself??? If not, where should I take it? It is already painted etc...
Old 02-25-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is just a straight cut that you have to do on the frame, a sawzle can do this task quite easily. Or try a pneumatic cutoff tool
I searched for a picture and found this site. Installing a supercharger on a Tacoma http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...UTF-8%26sa%3DN
There is a picture of the sawzall at the very top of the page and a picture of the cutoff tool in one of the linked pictures. If you don't have a compressor I'd say use the sawzall (which I would try first anyway) If it really isn't that much cutting, maybe a hacksaw and a lot of elbow grease
Old 02-25-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks alot. Is the roll pan an easy bolt up after that?? I guess I have to predrill the holes before I mount. Sound right??
Old 02-25-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't put a roll pan on a Tahoe, so I am not exactly sure even what needs to be cut. Though, on the installation of my roll pan on the truck I had a friend help hold one side while I held the other. We measured a perfectly even seam gap from the bed to the beginning of the roll pan from side to side. Once It was in position, make a mark in the exact center of the holes where the roll pan screws will go. Lower the roll pan and drill the holes. Pull the pan back up and install the screws. After that process I had mine welded -super smooth If it is a quality pan, it is cake.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

This may sound dumb, but what am I drilling into? Street Scene says to "fasten across the top using the self drilling phillips screws, then from the underside of truck drill through the return edge of roll pan (what is this?) and into the body panel at the bottom side of roll pan". I dont understand where they are talking about...
They then say that they recommend adding a cross bar across the back of the frame in front of the rollpan before installing the roll pan. How do I do this? Thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

top of the roll pan is the edge that under rear doors, should be about 4-6 horizontal sheet metal screws. return edge is the bottom of the roll pan. its called the return edge because the pan begins to "return" towards the vehicle. There should be some bracketry that attaches the return edge to the chassy/ frame somehow with sheet metal screws.as far as the body panels go, they are probably referring to the outer edges of the pan like where it touches drivers rear 1/4 and the passengers rear 1/4 panels, these screws are used to pull the 1/4's in slightly to even out or eliminate the gap on the sides. sometimes this is not needed, just depends on the application. The cross bar sounds like if helps structural integritey, of the roll pans i've done i've only needed these on figerglass applications. Its basically a piece of angle iron that helps support the mid section of the roll pan. Remember fiberglass pans can be fragile, so if its fiberglass, baby it and be gentle
Old 02-29-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks alot. Its Urethane so Im hoping I wont need the cross member. Thanks alot for the help it is very appreciated!!!
Old 02-29-2004, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

no problem, glad to help