SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIDs or HIRs??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would sign up over there too as there is a load of info for our trucks, but here you go

This was posted by Butch on denailtrucks.com I take no credit for this.
"I was installing a set of Silverstar Ultra's today and thought of the post awhile back about washing out the housings to clean the inside lenses. Pulled the low beam bulb out and could see the cloudiness on the inside of the projector lens. I didn't have any distilled water on hand to wash them out, but just for the heck of it i took a soft artists brush and went in the bulb socket and reached the lens with it. Swirling it around and the cloudiness was coming right off. i took the brush and ran it under warm water and shook it as dry as I could, then went in again and swirled it all around till the lens was nice and clean. Couldn't get to one edge so I took an acid brush (others may call it different but you can see it in the pic) and bent it slightly and went in with that and cleaned the last edge. I then completely cleaned and dried the Two brushes and went in one more to clean any damp spots. Very easy to do, and I can't believe the difference in lens clarity. Can't wait for tonight so I can try them out, I bet a huge difference!!!

Good mods don't come any cheaper and easier than this!!!!

Here's the tools needed. The projector lens is in the hole to right of the brushes.

You can see the huge difference in the pics. You can see the cloudiness on the uncleaned one on the right and how clear the cleaned one is on the left!
"

Last edited by seltaeb; 03-22-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

This is from botches and I take no credit for this one too.

"the cloudiness is on both side of the lense. It is easy to take it apart and clean both sides.

take the black housing off the the headlight assembly. 3 torx screws or you can use a box end wrench.

Once you have it out, turn it over and you can see 2 more screws holding a retaining ring around the lense.

wipe clean, I used a microfiber towel.

replace and put it back together.

I cleaned mine before I took these pictures but, they were really cloudy.
"
Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with 8k with my Denali headlights and they have a lot of purple to them. I would go with 6k or lower and do both highs and lows in 35w. The HIDs are alot brighter than the halogens but you will see the biggest difference in the highs. But it just makes sense to do the lows also.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

5000k HIDs in my Denali projectors. Been running the setup for a little over a year now and no problems plus nice light output. Cutoff is great too. I aimed them to cutoff at the top of car trunks.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 PM
makes children cry

Received 432 Likes on 354 Posts

thanks, seltaeb, for posting that. i took some alcohol lens cloths & a microfiber cloth to the outsides of the lenses while i was clearing the units, but i never thought to use a brush inside like that.

COLDZ71 - i don't use my highs enough to warrant the HID swap, but when my 9005s blow, they'll be replaced with some HIRs

SierraK5, thanks for the pics - your truck looks great. i also like the DRL-> blinker mod you did. that's on my list.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where were you planning on getting your HIRs? Someone recommended hirheadlights.com to me before but I dont know whos dealt with them.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by 1989k1500
Where were you planning on getting your HIRs? Someone recommended hirheadlights.com to me before but I dont know whos dealt with them.
that's where i was gonna get mine. we talked through emails & he's the same guy that sells them on eBay, but buying them direct from him is the cheaper bet (shipping's $8 for up to 8 lamps as opposed to $15 each).

he seems legit & somebody recommended him to me as well, so i'd say he's a safe bet.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Im gunna order some of those for my two trucks and my buddy wants them for his Highs too.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
makes children cry

awesome. let me know how they turn out
Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
makes children cry

after a couple months of driving with my 35W HID kit, i'm wishing i'd've gone 55W
...not that this one's bad or anything, just could stand to be a little brighter. i realized that the projectors seemed to sacrifice a little output for better coverage. what's also bugging me is now i need to convert my fogs - i don't like that big of a color temp difference

Quick Reply: HIDs or HIRs??