Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To Detail Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How-To Detail Trucks

Hey guys, Ive posted this before, but I added due to more arising questions on the site, hope to have this a sticky for you DIYers

Some quick tips for you guys who dont know many tricks!

-Carpet wear and stubborn stains:
*Thoroughly vacuum and scrub the area with a carpet cleaner of some sort, after its still damp from cleaning, vacuum one last time in one direction, (fluffiest way is best). Grab a can of SEM Color Coat carpet and vinyl dye, hold 8-10in away and lightly fan the area. Caution- Use a boundary so you dont get any overspray on your plastic panels or gas pedals etc. I mainly use the plastic temp plates dealerships use for their cars. Allow to dry overnight or place a fan on it for an hour and your good to go! (obv match the color as best you can to the can lol)

-Gum and sticky residue:
Grab a brand new razor blade,(Straight) and hold right under the spot on the carpet and "shave" away the problem. Works great for gum removal on think carpet!

-Collinite 845 Insulator Wax:
One of the best paint sealers around. VERY durable and excellent gloss. I dont recommend use on black, just not a thick enough paste and is somewhat greasy, so light colors, white is best it works unbelievable on a pre cleaned surface...I wax my chrome 20s with this and its like rain x for your chrome, exellent product!

-Tire Shine:
You can spray your wheelwells, suspension and undercarriage with this, awesome shine, awesome durability. Also use on rubber door seals and spot tar and road grease removal, the silicone based dressing breaks down the grease and works great!

-Fog Elimination:
Water in a spray bottle, clean your windows with glass cleaner, and then repeat with regular h20, im a smoker and it still wont haze up!

- Headliner stains: Cig smoke, coffee etc.
*Any foaming glass cleaner (Sprayway) spray on the stain allow to soak for 5-10 seconds, and blot and wipe clean with a towel. After the spot is dry, hit it with a vacuum to fluff it back up!

-Tree sap, Road Tar, Black Streaks:
*Carburetor cleaner, spray 1'' dab on a clean towel, and place directly on the spot of sap or stain, rub back and forth very gently...it dissolves slow but very effective, once its removed, make sure its wiped dry to remove residue, I do not reccommend doing this to like half a hood with a big rag, Im talking little spots, rocker panels etc. Follow with any wax, stand back and smile!

-Spot Stains: Carpet and Upholstery
*Spray stain directly with PinkStuf, or any general purpose cleaner, let it soak, and with an air nozzle, hold 5'' away and blow the stain away, depending on the pressure thats coming through, mines 120 and 5'' away is fine!

-Rocks & debris in running boards and cracks and crevasses
* Small flathead screwdriver to pop out all the junk, and Air Nozzles work great!

-Door Jams: Dirty & Squeaky?
* Any tire shine or silicone-based dressing works great for jams, shines them and also acts as a protectant! Spray 2-3 squirst in the hinge area, then one on the rest, one hell of a shine, no squeaks and no dirt!

-Water Spots on glass
*#00 Fine steel wool, with glass cleaner as lube, rub gently until removed (or vinegar)

-Forget Rain-X
*Any reputable car wax, is an excellent protectant on any glass surface. Apply one window at a time, and remove. I do mine every time I wash my truck, and wow watch that water fly right off!

-What to wax
* Any painted, or smooth (non corrugated) surface can be waxed, Example: Headlights can be waxed, taillights, chrome bumpers, wheels (excellent to do) windows and yes you can do your instrument cluster if your **** like me

-OOPS! Wax on corrugated plastic or molding?
*Not a problem, peanut butter and a small stiff brush works excellent. Or if you need a quick fix, WD40 or tire shine.

Written by me, I was bored and figured Id let you in on some secrets if you werent already aware! ~Tyler
Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info man...this should be a sticky!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to add this because I played hell trying to figure it out what I could use without damaging my leather!

Got paint or a stubborn stain on your leather?! First try leather cleaner of but if that doesn't work use goo-gone and a tooth brush! use it cautiously and be sure to use a leather conditioner after using any cleaner on your leather!!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

great write up man!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
great write up man!!!
Thanks, Tyler...great job!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Mods- This should be a sticky.. Please....
Old 10-23-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

DONE
Old 10-23-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good post and info...I got some new ideas and tips from it.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your welcome guys, love helping out the fellow chevy drivers its great to be helpful!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Good job Tyler

Quick Reply: How-To Detail Trucks