Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to fix my freaking dash??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to fix my freaking dash??

ok i'm kinda really pissed the f off right now. i got a new air freshener for my truck. the kind that go on the vent. well my baby girl kept taking it off the vent when i was working on the truck so i stuck it on the defrost vent. well today i go out side and right under the freshener is a BIG *** BUBBLE its my vynal from my dash. so now i has a big hole in my vynal and a crack in the plastic. can it be fixed or do i need a new dash?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the crap in the air freshener bubbled it up somehow??
If so clean it off, let it sit in the sun again and poke the bubble with a pin, it may deflate and go flat again.
Just a thought, kind of like a bubble in latex paint or a sticker. Vinyl and latex are similar stuff.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it that kind that hsa the liquid in the glass vile and has the little wick that goes down into it? If so ur screwed my buddy had one on the vent in his dodge and being the bright guy he is he turned it upside down cause it made it smell stronger well it dripped down his dash onto his radio then to the floor. His black dash now has a greyish line down it he cant use the last two buttons on the radio and his black carpet has a grey spot the size of a quarter.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:23 AM
12 Second Truck Club

yep that would be the freaking one right there. ya'll hear about the chick that got all the money because she put her rv on cruise control and went in the back. it recked and she got all kinds of money because it didn't say in the owners manual not to do that. well i wonder if i can get my dash fixed. it said put it on a vent it didn't say which and it was right side up. i guess it just boiled out in the sun and f up my dash. the freshener looked the same as it did before. this just really pisses me off. i think the only thing to do is replace my dash.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4.8T
yep that would be the freaking one right there. ya'll hear about the chick that got all the money because she put her rv on cruise control and went in the back. it recked and she got all kinds of money because it didn't say in the owners manual not to do that. well i wonder if i can get my dash fixed. it said put it on a vent it didn't say which and it was right side up. i guess it just boiled out in the sun and f up my dash. the freshener looked the same as it did before. this just really pisses me off. i think the only thing to do is replace my dash.
RV story is an urban legend.

I'd at minimum try calling the company and asking them to help you out. You might not get anywhere but it's worth a try. Technically if you're using their product as they specify and it blows up and causes you property damage they could be liable. Not worth pursuing though, but asking for compensation might work.

The top dash panel isn't that difficult to swap. Just had to pull mine a few days ago because I missed one of the clips when I had it apart a year ago. Directions for 03+ trucks are in the factory nav link in my sig.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

You could get one of those dash covers that stylinconcepts sells...they have smooth ones, flamed ones, or my favorite, the one with the three guages. Have it painted to match and install it right over the old dash.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i'll check that out and i got another guy trying some salvage yards he knows to try and find one. this poor truck has had more abuse than any of my other trucks i ever owned put together. my passanger side rocker panel got rocked about a week after i bought the truck took it out and thought i laid frame ona rock.....nope it was the body. then my wife tried to back up a trailer with two screaming kids in the winter about midnight and it was snowing well she jack nifed and put a dent and hole in my bed. then my dog jumped out of the bed one day and tried to get back in (truck was parked) and scratched the hell out of the bed. snake eater backed in to a telephone pole ( didn't hurt it but still). and now this.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

If it's still under warranty take it in and say your dash is peeling. Right before my truck went out of warranty i had 4 pieces of the dash replaced because they were chipping and peeling.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by blue02
If it's still under warranty take it in and say your dash is peeling. Right before my truck went out of warranty i had 4 pieces of the dash replaced because they were chipping and peeling.
Yea, try that first...if you can get a brand new dash from the general for free, that would be awesome! If not, here's the item I'm referring to:

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....6/categoryid/1

...I like that 3 guage one...I could see one of those in my future eventually...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

I bet you have to get it repainted. Mine bubbled and the warranty took care of it. The dealer blamed it on me and I promptly showed them the manual. They said to only used soap and water, but the manual said either soap and water, or any type of vinyl cleaner. I hate dealers. Good luck getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: how to fix my freaking dash??