Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep DRL's and have them blink with signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 03:37 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to keep DRL's and have them blink with signals

I got bored this afternoon and decided to try and figure out a way to keep normal DRL operation during the day and use the bulb as a turn signal/parking lamp at night. Managed to come up with something that works, although $50 is a bit much to spend for it IMO, but regardless...here it is.

Parts:
4 12V relays
2 3-way bulb sockets
2 amber 3157 bulbs
Assload of female spade terminals
A few tap-splice connectors
A few butt-splice connectors
3 ring terminals
Some extra wire

I attached a drawing of what one side's wiring should be, both sides need to be done identically. I think the drawing is probably pretty confusing....sorry bout that, I dunno how to make it more clear. Maybe someone who understands it can clarify a little.

Again, this allows the DRL bulb to operate normally any time the DRL system is turned on, and changes the "duty" of the DRL bulb from DRL to turn signal/parking light any time the DRL system is off. The only downside is you can hear the relays clicking from outside the vehicle when the turn signals are flashing, hopefully it won't turn out to be too obnoxious. I shot a video of it in action, but I can't figure the video cam out for the life of me, will try to get a vid posted eventually.

In the drawing, black lines represent existing wires/connections, and red lines represent new wires/connections. On the relays, positions 85 and 86 are interchangeable, and positions 30 and 87 are interchangeable.

I gave each DRL bulb it's own dedicated line straight to the battery (fused of course) that is switched on and off with the blinking of the signal because connecting it directly to the +12V wire of the existing turn signal bulb dims the flashes a significant amount (having to light two bulbs off of current designed for one)

Maybe someone can come up with an easier or cheaper way to accomplish the same thing?
Attached Thumbnails How to keep DRL's and have them blink with signals-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm...

What was the other guy doing? Just switching out sockets? I'm going to search that other thread and see what exactly he did. That intresting tho.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You get a parking signal socket and splice the three wires into the three wires for the original parking signal then put the new parking signal light in the drl socket.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:41 AM
High on diesel fumes

Damn it I think I just realized that you can accomplish the exact same thing with four diodes and a hell of a lot less wiring

I'll have to give it a shot. At least I did a lot of work for nothing
Old 06-17-2005, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Damn it I think I just realized that you can accomplish the exact same thing with four diodes and a hell of a lot less wiring

I'll have to give it a shot. At least I did a lot of work for nothing
Dos Diodes will get pretty hot ... I think the relays a better idea although the three wire sockets are a great idea
Old 06-18-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You get a parking signal socket and splice the three wires into the three wires for the original parking signal then put the new parking signal light in the drl socket.
Yup. Scream did this awhile back and I've got them on mine. Cost me about $25 for the pair of sockets and a new set of bulbs. I can't tell any difference in the light output either. Plus it only takes like 5 minutes to change everything over.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:17 PM
High on diesel fumes

OK I did it again with the diodes, 1N4004 from Radio Shack....1.50 for four lots cheaper than $5 each for the relays. Works the exact same, much much easier wiring. DRL's work normally, and when the DRL's are not on it functions as a parking light and turn signal instead.
Attached Thumbnails How to keep DRL's and have them blink with signals-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-18-2005, 08:19 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula
Yup. Scream did this awhile back and I've got them on mine. Cost me about $25 for the pair of sockets and a new set of bulbs. I can't tell any difference in the light output either. Plus it only takes like 5 minutes to change everything over.
You lose the DRL's when you do this right? I wanted to keep them working.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

Im gunna have to look up screams article again soon!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:55 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you lose the drl when you do the conversion that I am talking about.

Quick Reply: How to keep DRL's and have them blink with signals