Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep DRL's and have them blink with signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammedchevy01
Im gunna have to look up screams article again soon!
Here's the link to Scream's post on this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...urn+signal+mod
Old 06-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

gotta give this a try...
Old 06-22-2005, 09:20 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still working fine for me, haven't burned out a diode, have normal DRL's by day(orange though cause of the bulbs), and a blinking signal and parking light by night....
Old 06-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunder550
Still working fine for me, haven't burned out a diode, have normal DRL's by day(orange though cause of the bulbs), and a blinking signal and parking light by night....
Ive done tons of wiring (systems alarms etc.) but Ive never worked with diodes directly before...I bought the diodes already, how do u connect them, do they need heat shrink around them, yada yada. Can ya walk me thru this a little, not real sure what I need to do...

Old 06-24-2005, 01:16 AM
High on diesel fumes

Since the diodes are directional and only let current pass one direction, you have to pay attention to the orientation of the stripe around one end. The stripe should go towards the light for both diodes.

I stripped off some insulation off the wires I was attaching the diodes to and soldered them in place, then sealed em up with some heat shrink tubing. I dunno how sensitive they are to the elements, but I didn't want to find out either. If you don't have a soldering iron Radio Shack has some decent ones for like $10-$15, I had to buy mine before I did this and it wasn't too bad. Use some kind of solder with a rosin core, I used silver w/ rosin core. An extra pair of hands would be nice too, holding two pieces, solder, and soldering iron is tough to do all at the same time

Step by step:
1. Cut off factory 2-wire DRL socket
2. Solder non-stripe end of first diode to the positive DRL wire from vehicle
3. Slide heat-shrink tube over diode for sealing later
4. Solder positive bright (outside) wire from new 3-wire DRL socket to the stripe end of first diode
5. Connect ground wire from new DRL socket directly to ground wire from vehicle
6. Connect positive dim (middle) wire from new DRL socket directly to positive dim (middle) wire on signal socket
7. Splice a short wire into the positive bright (outside) wire on the signal socket
8. Solder non-stripe end of second diode to wire from step 7
9. Slide heat-shrink tube over diode for sealing later
10. Solder stripe end of second diode to a short length of wire
11. Splice short wire from step 10 into positive bright (outside) wire on new DRL socket IN BETWEEN first diode and new DRL socket
12. Shrink/seal the heat shrink tubing, completely cover diodes and solder joints

Hope that answered your questions, let me know if you have any more. I like the way my lights turned out....like having orange DRL's now
Old 06-24-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a way using relays....got some cool pics on page 1 & 2 also.

Wig-Wags
Old 06-24-2005, 04:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunder550
Since the diodes are directional and only let current pass one direction, you have to pay attention to the orientation of the stripe around one end. The stripe should go towards the light for both diodes.

I stripped off some insulation off the wires I was attaching the diodes to and soldered them in place, then sealed em up with some heat shrink tubing. I dunno how sensitive they are to the elements, but I didn't want to find out either. If you don't have a soldering iron Radio Shack has some decent ones for like $10-$15, I had to buy mine before I did this and it wasn't too bad. Use some kind of solder with a rosin core, I used silver w/ rosin core. An extra pair of hands would be nice too, holding two pieces, solder, and soldering iron is tough to do all at the same time

Step by step:
1. Cut off factory 2-wire DRL socket
2. Solder non-stripe end of first diode to the positive DRL wire from vehicle
3. Slide heat-shrink tube over diode for sealing later
4. Solder positive bright (outside) wire from new 3-wire DRL socket to the stripe end of first diode
5. Connect ground wire from new DRL socket directly to ground wire from vehicle
6. Connect positive dim (middle) wire from new DRL socket directly to positive dim (middle) wire on signal socket
7. Splice a short wire into the positive bright (outside) wire on the signal socket
8. Solder non-stripe end of second diode to wire from step 7
9. Slide heat-shrink tube over diode for sealing later
10. Solder stripe end of second diode to a short length of wire
11. Splice short wire from step 10 into positive bright (outside) wire on new DRL socket IN BETWEEN first diode and new DRL socket
12. Shrink/seal the heat shrink tubing, completely cover diodes and solder joints

Hope that answered your questions, let me know if you have any more. I like the way my lights turned out....like having orange DRL's now
Awesome man! I'm gonna try to do it when I get off work, sounds easy enough. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:25 AM
High on diesel fumes

No prob hope you like it