SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove gold bowtie on a 08 Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSilverado
I just got my 2008 Black Silverado Extended cab this past saturday and love it! I was wondering if somebody could tell me how to remove the gold bowtie only from the tail gate so I can have it painted black to match the truck. I seen several new body style Silverado's with the bowties painted and I think it looks alot better. Is this something that I could do myself? If so what kind of paint should I use? Please post some pictures of the finished product!

Has anybody tinted the rear tail lights? I ordered some pre-cut tinted tail light film for the tail lights but don't know how that's gonna go. Has anybody used any of this stuff?

Thanks for looking!!

Derek
not sure on the bowtie issue, but most people smoke their tail lights with auto paints, not tint films.. a buddy of mine does them for minimal cost. he's very reputable on a lot of forums for smoking tail lights. so you won't have to worry about him screwing up your lights.

send me a pm if you want his contact info..
Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

i used goo gone, and fishing line, and TOOK MY TIME. I think a heating gun would work a little better, but just be careful not to do anything to scratch the paint...I painted mine black, and my truck is greystone metallic...it looks awesome.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 PM
JB1
TECH Resident

Just heat it up with a hair dryer or park it in the sun, then use fishing line or weed eater string and start at a corner and work your way around top to bottom...kinda like a sawing motion. The line wont damage the paint. I then used 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover to get all the remaining glue off.

The bowtie has a solid piece of tape on the back so you will have to clean that up real good and put new tape to re-use

I just removed mine...looked much better IMO and its easier to clean/wax.