Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a new buffer/polisher

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Well I have to disagree, my truck is black and I get swirl marks after a few washings. The craftsman I posted removes them no problem... IMO it has little to do with the machine and has more to do with the polish you use.... If I use cheap polish it does basically nothing for the swirls, but if you buy a quality polish then it has no problems removing the swirls... IMO using a high speed buffer on decent factory paint is over kill, and more than likely your stripping off more of your clear coat than you should... IMO a high speed buffer should only be used on paint that has been wet sanded...

I am not trying to create a pissing match, just simpliy stating my opinion and experiences...
If it works for you then continue using it.

There are many factors involved. Your paint may be on the softer side, which makes paint correction easier. It's been my experience that those buffers don't have enough power for any real paint correction. When you say high speed buffer you are probably thinking more along the lines of a rotary like the Milwaukee that BlownChevy posted a picture of. The Porter Cable is much less aggressive than a rotary but it still has enough power to properly break down polishes to remove swirls.

Another possibility is that you are filling the swirls in when you buff your truck. That type of buffer might not generate enough heat to properly break the polish down, which tends to just fill the swirls in. Washing could simply be removing the oils that were left behind by the polish, making your swirls re-appear. If you are using good technique (2 buckets, sheepskin mitt, waffle weave drying towels) you shouldn't be seeing swirls that soon. I'm not questioning your technique at all, just pointing out a possible cause.

BeastMode - Sorry to get OT. You could do a little reading on autopia.org if you want to learn more about machine polishing. I learned a ton there.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Import Moderator

no not off topic at all... this is all great info. im gonna do a little pokin around on autopia.org and see what I can come up with. Like BlackGMC said, im more or less just lookin for something to keep her clean... as far as swirls and what not come summer im gonna have it wet sanded and alot of paint work done and maybe recleared or something... then ill get into detailing

thanks for all the input
Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

you use stronger and weaker pads and polishes to determine how harsh your buffing the vehicle with a portercable. if you dont have enough power to heat up and break down polish you might as well just be rubbing on a butter wax and waxing over that.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the porter cable is a good one from what ive seen. im going to buy one in the near future. it has 5 or 6 different speeds so you can adjust for different compounds, waxing, etc. its $150 but will reduce your time from that random orbit. im getting ready to do mine with my makita i use for polishing stone. we'll see how bad i **** it up.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
8MC
TECH Apprentice

Here's my .02 . I have both the Porter Cable 7424 & the Milwaukee 5460. If all you are doing is basic waxing and/or mild cutting then use the Porter Cable(it is a random orbital BTW). All you change is the pad to suit your needs, i.e. wool or orange pads for cutting, white or black for finishing. If you're dealing with heavy oxidation & discoloring, then step up to the Milwaukee. The Milwaukee doesn't orbit like the Porter Cable and when used with a cutting pad or even just a cutting agent will swirl and/or burn the paint if not used correctly. I'd recommend the Porter Cable for the home detailer. I also like it because the pads are smaller & can get into tighter spaces.

Last edited by 8MC; 03-17-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

my vote would go to the porter cable or the ultimate detailing machine.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

I just got a PC 7424 and am gonna give that a shot this week. Highly recommended on corvetteforum