Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Odor Eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Interior Odor Eliminator

I bought my white truck from a guy that smoked and had small kids, so needless to say the interior smells a bit. I have completely stripped out the interior so the only thing left is the HVAC stuff and main dash stuff and steering wheel; seats, carpets, headliner, and trim plastic are removed.

Problem is it still smells more than I would like, do any of you guys have any remedies to get rid of the smell at this point? My next step is to try washing it out but that makes me a bit nervous.... I am replacing the carpet and seats so those wont be going back in.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm get you some lemon scented odor neutralizer from a local HVAC parts store, should be in a aresol can and you dont have to rinse it
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard that Ozium does an amazing job of removing moldy, smoky and other bad smells. Haven't used it myself though, so can't speak from experience.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

leave something equally smelly in it in the heat for a while?

good luck beating the smoke scent, my parents go through em like crazy and no matter what me and my clothes ALWAYS smell like smoke
Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

I've heard putting a bowl of coffe will soak up the smell but never really tried it .. Maybe soak everything with fabreeze?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a company that makes odor eliminator bombs kinda like the bombs for houses to kill bugs. Also chemical guys makes a good odor elim you could run through the hvac system. Good luck, I know I won't buy a vehicle if its been smoked in so much that it smells like it inside.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

ive heard cutting open a bag of charcoal and laying it open in the truck works but ive never tried it myself.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
I have heard that Ozium does an amazing job of removing moldy, smoky and other bad smells. Haven't used it myself though, so can't speak from experience.
Originally Posted by Bumpers
I've heard putting a bowl of coffe will soak up the smell but never really tried it .. Maybe soak everything with fabreeze?
Originally Posted by onebad03
ive heard cutting open a bag of charcoal and laying it open in the truck works but ive never tried it myself.
Ive heard all these work, but ive had the best luck with this
http://www.onaonline.com/prod-onablock.html

comes in a little container, solid form and it should last a few months in the truck
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have first hand experience here. I bought a one year old '95 S10 Blazer back in the day. It was daily driven by a cigar smoker. It was totally freakin nasty inside.

I cleaned it out and vacuumed it, shampooed the seats & carpet, still stunk terribly. I was talking to a friend of mine about it, and he lent me his Living Air Purifier. It worked.

If you can borrow one(everybody knows somebody who has one), do this.

Park your vehicle outside. Crack both front windows about 1/4 inch. Put the air purifier in the vehicle and turn both ***** up full blast. Close the doors and leave it for 24 hours.

When you go back to it and open the door, it's gonna smell pretty funny. Turn off and remove the machine. Roll the windows down and park it in a protected area(garage/carport/whatever) and leave it for a day.

After that, the smell from the machine will still be there, but will dissipate while you drive with the windows cracked for the next few days. It will be tolerable. The cigar/cigarette smell WILL BE GONE!!! After a few days, you will never be able to tell that anybody ever smoked in the vehicle.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

All good suggestions guys.

I tried the charcoal thing already, didnt work at all.

What really has me stumped is what is holding the odor, there isnt any fabric left in the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Interior Odor Eliminator