SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Paint Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Paint Problem?

Well for quite some time I have been in the process of painting my interior plastics, doing the little peices before the big ones so I mess up small instead of big. Just for your info the paint Im using is duplicolour rattle can, and filler primer and adhesion promoter all duplicolour. So onto my problem, I got the peices sanded down tell there is no texture or hairs left, and there really smooth, got about 3-4 coats of filler primer with some adhesion promoter between some of the coats, and its all sanded down smooth as glass but the problem is when Im spraying my black paint it goes on looking nice and black but once it starts to dry and finish drying it turns a really dull gray, like not black at all but grey? To much humidity? To hot to cold? what? Heres some pictures

OK heres the pics, the bow tie turned out good but the rest didnt, the dash bezel was the worst

I did them with the dupliclour GM Black in the rattle can a few months ago but they got scratched up cause they had no clear on them so thats when I decided to paint them, heres how it turned out the first time

Not bad but not great, but alot better then the repaint I just did

Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you shake the can good?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

is it kind of milky looking? if so then you may have put the coats on to heavy.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Did you do any prep and/or what did you use? Also, how long after prepping did you start painting?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

looks like your went over board on spraying the material. you should do it in small increments.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its the paint man get sum good paint like dupont or sumthing better that cheap autozone paint and then mix it and reduce it real good and you should have no problem.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Humidity will cause hazing. Too thick of coats.... not allowing enough drying time in between....BUT... you don't put adhesion promotor in between coats. If you are using it... ONLY use it on bare plastic.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

ok heres the steps I did, I think I did the coats to thick. sanded plastic bare, cleaned with dawn dish soap really good. Added adhesion promoter, sprayed 3 coats of filler primer, another coat of adhesion promoter, then I did a fairly heavy coat of paint.

I didnt include the sanding I did in my process, but it was nice and clean and glassy smooth before I painted. By the way the paint is the duplicolour rattle can paint.

So maybe Ill sand this paint off to the primer and repaint it with several very light coats and see how it turns out

Edit: I waited about 10-15 minuted between coats of primer, then sanded after the primer was dry, then I painted so in total I think I painted about an hour after I layed the primer down
Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I would start with sanding it down to smooth it out. You'll need more then one color coat. I'm not a pro but I've never seen the paint turn hazey from being to thick. I've always layed it down as thick as possible with out it running so it can flow.

If your holding the can to far away it could be drying to fast and not flowing.

I painted my dash a year ago with duplicolor and it's holding up good.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Im definently going to try again, Im thinking maybe that can of paint went bad before I bought it or something, Have to go buy some new cans tomorrow, Should I keep it black or try something else? Dont say pewter because I cant find it anywhere

Quick Reply: Interior Paint Problem?