Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought A....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LaBlackPearl
I already did bro, got me from 12mpg to 14mpg.. now I'm gonna add e-fans, K&N, and exhaust to help me out a bit more, hopefully to see 15mpg.
Congrats on the new truck. Looks clean. I just picked up an 02 Silverado LT w/Z71 and a 5.3 in it myself. My last one was a 97 with cloth interior. Gotta love a TRUCK with leather. What sold me was the heated part of the seats. With a bad back, it's been a dream just in the short time I have owned it.

I'm a bit surprised at your gas mileage though?
I basically just did a home-modded factory airbox w/Fram AirHog filter, so that it draws air from between bumper and plastic inner fenderwell.
Added a Flowmaster muffler only, because I wanted to retain the factory stainless pipes.
Swapped in some new Autolite XP spark plugs, and
played around with the timing and torque management via HPTuners.
I've been averaging just shy of 17mpg's in mixed driving with lots of AC use and no fear of pushing the gas pedal down. I tried some O2 sensor setting trickery to see if that made a difference, and it seemed to, but I haven't verified yet.

I'm in the same boat as far as not being sure what route to take as far as it's off road capabilities are concerned. This is my first 4wd vehicle ever, so I'd like a big monster tired ride, but then I still like the lowered look...who knows? lol

Anyway, good luck with it.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks real nice!! thats exactly what i would like... z71 cc..............
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Congrats on the new truck. Looks clean. I just picked up an 02 Silverado LT w/Z71 and a 5.3 in it myself. My last one was a 97 with cloth interior. Gotta love a TRUCK with leather. What sold me was the heated part of the seats. With a bad back, it's been a dream just in the short time I have owned it.

I'm a bit surprised at your gas mileage though?
I basically just did a home-modded factory airbox w/Fram AirHog filter, so that it draws air from between bumper and plastic inner fenderwell.
Added a Flowmaster muffler only, because I wanted to retain the factory stainless pipes.
Swapped in some new Autolite XP spark plugs, and
played around with the timing and torque management via HPTuners.
I've been averaging just shy of 17mpg's in mixed driving with lots of AC use and no fear of pushing the gas pedal down. I tried some O2 sensor setting trickery to see if that made a difference, and it seemed to, but I haven't verified yet.

I'm in the same boat as far as not being sure what route to take as far as it's off road capabilities are concerned. This is my first 4wd vehicle ever, so I'd like a big monster tired ride, but then I still like the lowered look...who knows? lol

Anyway, good luck with it.
damn thats some good mileage your getting.. I'm sure as soon as I put exhaust, e-fans, and a K&N i'll see better mileage... plus mine has chrome 20s, I know with originals I'd see slightly better mileage.. oh well, i dont mind too much, it's not even my daily driver. I have a little 4-banger for my daily driver
Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for all the compliments guys.. I'll try to post some interior pics later on wen I get it cleaned.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LaBlackPearl
damn thats some good mileage your getting.. I'm sure as soon as I put exhaust, e-fans, and a K&N i'll see better mileage... plus mine has chrome 20s, I know with originals I'd see slightly better mileage.. oh well, i dont mind too much, it's not even my daily driver. I have a little 4-banger for my daily driver
Ditto on the lighter 16" original wheels.
I only have 18's...couldn't afford the other 2...
Old 07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

you better not let mud touch it!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

how could you go from a 12 second truck to a high 15 second truck? lol

Anyways, that's a really nice looking truck.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

looks like ur already headin out to celebrate the new buy lol
Old 07-21-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
how could you go from a 12 second truck to a high 15 second truck? lol

Anyways, that's a really nice looking truck.
eh, I got kind of tired it after awhile.. I had always wanted a 4door Z71, I've always wanted to ride high instead of super low.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Just for info purposes, my wifes(used to be mine) 06 Silverado Z71-5.3 HO, usually averages about 16-17 MPG mostly city, I took it for a trip right after I bought it to Dallas, and averaged about 23 MPG the entire trip. This was untuned, stock airbox with airaid tube and true-flow filter, stock exhaust.

Looks good though, I can't believe you got rid of your other truck.

Quick Reply: Just Bought A....