SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Rear Window - What to do with carpet/padding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Rear Window - What to do with carpet/padding?

My rear slider has been leaking for a while. I planned to get it fixed but pulled out the entire interior for cleaning/disenfecting. I don't really know what to do with the capet padding.

It doesn't look to be in bd shape and I sprayed/staturated it with a water/bleach mix.

Is the stock carpet padding mold and mildew resistant? Should I worry about replaceing it or going crazy cleaning?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would just replace it with something fresh you will never get it fully cleaned and i dont think they are that expensive check like ACC or someone like that.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, carpets are cheap enough, and once that mold and mildew smell gets in there it will never come out. I've replaced many many carpets and pads on vehicles at work due to clogged a/c or moon roof drains or flood damage. Once the carpet is out, if there's any signs of mold on the floor board, get some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle, spray it down, let it sit for 15 minutes, scrub it, then wipe it up. Lexus has bought back many vehicles due to a moldy mildew smell that won't go away, and now there's a guy who comes around and does a process with a fogger machine and a dry peroxide that usually works, but he charges the factory $900ish...I use my method with the hydrogen peroxide and haven't had one buy back yet
Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice tip on the hydrogen peroxide, Billy. If my truck is ever in the situation I can take it away from DD use, I'll rip it down to the jute & see how bad salt damaged the floors/ carpet/ jute.

OP, ACC is the leader. At least in my eyes, I see em everyday.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ripped out the carpet and the pad. Floor doesn't show any signs of mold/mildew.

Used Water and Bleach solution on the pad. Used carpet cleaner and lysol on the carpet.

I tried serching for replacement carpet and saw something on ACCs site for about $230.
Does it come with padding?
I think the carpet is OK just worried about the pad. Should I just get generic padding and form it myself?