Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led taillights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 02:26 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led taillights

i'm looking to replace all three sets of lights back there with led's. problem now is finding a place that sells the right bulbs. i want to try and keep away from mac gyvering as much as possible, so a nice direct replacement would be prefered. any ideas?
Old 11-21-2003, 04:14 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote about this before, because I did A LOT of researching on this topic, is why I just painted my tail lights instead of doing some crazy LED conversion....
Here goes...

Factory built LED taillight assemblies, like in those Lexus lights, work great and are a DOT approved brightness. You will notice that the LED elements in these are spread around over the illuminated area. I've seen those on the street and they look awesome.

Aftermarket replacement LED bulbs don't come anywhere near the brightness of the standard incandescent bulbs like on our trucks. The reflector is designed for an unfocused light source, like the stocker bulbs, instead of the conical output of the LEDs. The result would be poor brightness. You can hardly see them during the day.
You don't really want to risk being run into because the guy behind you didn't see your non DOT-approved brakelights do you?

If you still want to do this, here is a site where I would buy the LED 3157 replacement bulbs.
http://www.led.net/datasheets/auto_index/auto_index.htm
https://www.netdisty.net/ds/aut3157/default.asp
Yes, $50 for each bulb Isn't there 3 bulbs per tail light? Hmmm...lemme bust out the calculator

I wouldn't just put these LED bulbs in the stock tail light assemblies for the reason above. I would go custom, maybe even put the new caddy Deville lights on the back of my truck for a completely custom look.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:50 AM
14 Second Truck Club

$300 for a full set of led's? bullcrap!!! that'll be more than the ticket.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree with Chingon, the aftermarket bulbs don't give you nearly the effect that the OEM lights do. In addition you need some sort of resistor hooked up in line because your turn signals will flash in hyper speed.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:47 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSmith
I agree with Chingon, the aftermarket bulbs don't give you nearly the effect that the OEM lights do. In addition you need some sort of resistor hooked up in line because your turn signals will flash in hyper speed.
Yes yes! They will blink style because the LEDs draw fewer amps than the stock bulbs and the truck will think the bulbs are blown. Have you ever taken out one bulb out of you front blinker? When you signal, it blinks fast for the reason I just said. You can either get an electronic flasher(I think that works) or you can get these dummy loads to splice into the wires so that the truck THINKS you are getting the correct amperage.
Doesn't seem worth it to me.