Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEDs for DTRLs & Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 07:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs for DTRLs & Blinkers

I just thought I'd share my experience with the crappy day time running lamps in our trucks.

I tried to replace my stock yellowish ugly bulbs with a set of whiter/blue tinted PIAA 3157s but they looked washed out and I hated the color. I also noticed that they were melting the housing even worse than the stock units.

I check out this website and ordered the white 20ct LEDs for my day time lamps and man they look sweet!!! They have that HID color to them and are fairly bright head on. They do not light up the housing much but still look really cool and they run super cool, use very little current and wont melt my housings anymore.

If interested check em out here:

Super Birght LEDs

If you end up buying them make sure you get the 20 LED 3157s for your running lamps. I accidentaly ordered the 12ct ones and they dont look as nice. If you get the blinkers you will need the resistor kit to make it work. They also sell dome light LEDs for those that like a colored interior light.

I will try to get some pics up if anyone is actually even interested. I hooked up the running lamps to stay on even when the headlights come on at night since they look so neat. LOL
Old 02-13-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds like it looks hella good! Need to post those pictures I need to see this!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I'd like some pics too, and an explanation on how to keep the DRLs on with the headlights on. Free fogs in my opinion (I know - they probably don't do the job).
Old 02-13-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Imagine highs, lows, driving, and fog lights on all at the same time!!!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Well I tried to get pics tonight but I get too much glare out of the headlights and I have never been able to figure out how to defeat the auto headlights on this damn truck. 01's don't have the dial that turns counterclockwise momentarily like the 03's and I tried pushing the domelight override button 4 times and it dings but lights dont go out. I will get some pics tomorrow though

As for keeping the DTRLs on even with headlights on it is totally simple. All you are making is a jumper wire between the positive low beam headlight and the positive DTRL wires with a 3amp resistor in between.

2 6-8" pieces of 18ga wire.
2 3amp resistors
2 red butt connectors
4 red male spade connectors
4 blue T-Tap connectors

All I did was use 1 red butt connector and attach the 3 amp resistor to the 6" piece of 18ga wire with the striped end on the butt connector side.

Now attach a male spade connector to the other end of the 3am resistor and clamp a T-Tap onto the positive wire coming out of the Low beam (my truck it was orange I think).

Crimp another red spade connector onto the opposite end of the 6" 18ga wire and place a T-Tap onto the positive wire on the DTRL (blue in my case).

Now simply plug this new jumper wire into the T-Taps and you're done. Just make sure the resistor is pointing the right direction to avoid backfeeding current.

Now when I did this I tried one headlight first and it made both DTRLs come on so you may need to only make 1 jumper. I did both just for the hell of it but it did seem to work with only one.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To get the headlights to go out, try pressing the emergency brake down one click....thats how it was on my 99 S10ZR2....
Old 02-14-2004, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

That's odd..... my dad's '99 lights go off when I turn the **** all the way counterclockwise and push the dome override swich a few times. So does my mom's 2000 Yukon and my '02 Silverado. I know you probably have this base covered but make sure the light swich is pointing to the driverside window (to the circle -or- O).
I see you live in Sacramento, how are things down there? I live 90 miles north of you and am wondering if the town has been hopping lately. Although, I could see were the current weather would be slowing things down a bit.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

my 01 silverado push the dome override 3 times it will chime, or ding (whatever you want to call it) but it will turn off the DRL's too...
Old 02-14-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Just ordered a set for my DRL's. I will post up pics when I get them! The total came to 25.98 with shipping. If I dont like them, I will sell it to someone here or on ebay. I love subtle little changes like this, hopefully others will notice besides me!
Old 02-14-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

How long are these supposed to last in comparison to regular DRL's?

Quick Reply: LEDs for DTRLs & Blinkers