Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering kit for Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lowering kit for Tahoe?

I am bottoming out over bumps (speedbumps, potholes, any other road irregularity). Maybe it is just a case of always going too fast, but really I think the rear coils are just too soft and bouncy. No tire clearance problem, some rubbing in the front when turning, but not from up/down movement.

I am going to look at an air bag in the coil if I can't find anything else. I really think the McGaughys relocationg brakets will help in the back, but they don't sell them seperately. I would have to buy another set of springs also(would be my 3rd after market set).

I really like the dropped look, helped out alot when negotiating parking structures, but I am still lookting for a solition to the ride quality.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might can shorten the bumpstops if that's all you are touching.If you could loosen your shocks and move your rear suspension thru the entire range up and down you would find out if the bumpstops are all you are hitting.Shortening the bumpstops would be the cheapist solution.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Island Tahoe,

Thanks for the info. I have a picture of Jayson's Escalade lowered 2/3 and I agree with you on the lowered look. It makes a world of difference and I really want to get ours set down. I am going to talk with Jayson some more early next week about the rear springs and bump stops. I don't know which springs he is recommending to me right now. I am going to ask about air bags as well.

Thanks for the comments on the Whipple. I am looking at the Radix system for mine right now. Still a ways off on that decision, though.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

How about forwarding that picture to me. Does it have the same wheel size and tire size combo as you?

A have been thinking about going up to 22" rims, but I got to believe it would hurt too much performance wise. Plus more $$$$
Old 07-06-2003, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am also still trying to decide on whos 2/3 drop kit I am going to go with for my 03 Yukon with 22's. I do notice that the ride quailty with 22's isnt as good as stock rims.

What do you guys think about Eibach? They also have a 2/3 kit, and Eibach claims to have the best spring out there. I lowered my SS with the pro kit and its not bad but a little bouncy. Are all 2/3 lowering kits gonna make the ride bouncy or just sloppy? $200 isnt bad for that Mcgaughys 2/3 Torsion keys w/coils drop kit anyone know if there any good?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Island Tahoe,

Pics are in the mail. I appologize for the file size of Jayson's Escalade, but the last time I tried to reduce the file size for sending it messed up the picture. I included a pic of ours at stock height with the exact same wheels/tires as on Jayson's(I purchased them from him when he sold his). There is only a slight increase in road feel from the 22's versus our stock wheels. There is a local EXT Caddy with 24s on it and he tells me the ride is a little rough. I wanted to avoid that, but it sure looks nice.

Todd
Old 07-07-2003, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Todd -

Well I emailed you back some pics of my ride and some suspension close-ups. I only have large pic files so sorry. I have a cable connection so it isn't too bad for me, hope it is the same for you.

Just be prepared, you need to give up a some of the ride quality when you drop your caddy. There is no getting around that.

One more thing with 22s is that I would feel like I need to upgrade the brakes for performance as well as looks. If I calc correctly, 305/40/22 = 31.6" dia tires, my 305/50/20 tires have a dia = 32", I went to 4.10 gearing from the factory 3.73 to make up for some of the loss due to tire diameter increas. Felt a big loss in braking also. Is the wheel tire combo heavy, mine are very heavy.

Gregg
Old 07-13-2003, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Island Tahoe,

Thanks for all the information. I am not sure about other 22" wheel weights, but these Lezaro's are 3 piece and a little lighter than the one piece typically(I have not weighed them, though). Your calc on the 22" 40 series looks pretty good, I think I got just under 32" on my calc(31.9"). Either way, the speedo isn't an issue. I agree on the brakes as I have been looking at the Baer 1" upgrade rotors and brackets to relocate the factory caliper. At 600.00 for front and 600.00 for the back, it is rather pricey.

As for the suspension, I have decided to put the plans on hold right now. I am getting a lot of feedback that agrees with your comments and I can see the issues and then I am told the Caddy leveling suspension eliminates some of the loss....Not sure I want to try it right now. I may be ordering the swaybars now.

Todd
Old 07-13-2003, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Go ahead and order the sway bars for a stock ride height. If and when you do drop the Caddy, you can order the shorter "wishbone" end links for the rear sway bar. As for the front, the end link is a long bolt with a sleeve separating the poly bushings. Just cut the sleeve and the bolt to what you need.

If you are looking at real hi-performance brakes, take a peek at stoptech. More expensive, but I've heard good things about them from racers. http://www.stoptech.com/cgi/Products...p;match2=exact
Old 07-15-2003, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got 22's on my burb, I just got the hotchkis 1.75" rear springs and I'm going to settle the front a little by adjusting the torsion bars. I'll try to post a pick.