Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man what an annoying sound!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Man what an annoying sound!!!!!

Well, Just installed a stainless bug shield on her 01 Tahoe and a smoke plastic one on my 04 Chevy Crewcab. Same annoying sound.

Best I can tell, the change in airflow over the front of the truck has caused the rubber flaps at the corners of the windshield (covering a bolt on the cowl I think?) to start slapping the hood at about 60mph.

I am going to try some 3m double side tape to keep them quiet.

Anyone else had this happen.

Sure was funny, but at 60mph you can look out the corner of the window and see the little guy slapping the underside of the hood .
Old 01-22-2004, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

hmmm havnt had that problem. dunno?
Old 01-23-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

I haven't noticed a slapping sound YET, but I do have a bit of wind noise from the back. I think the rear windows in the cab need some grease on the seals. You could also try some 3M window adhesive. Good luck, boot
Old 01-23-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Supposedly the GM bugflectors are the only ones that don't do it, and yes, it is because of the airflow over the hood being disrupted. For some people, the actual windshield trim flutters like that.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Here you go, straight from Mr. Goodwrench's mouth:

1. Use a grease pencil to trace from top to bottom the contours of the right and left reveal moldings onto the windshield.
2. Remove the roof drip weatherstrip from both the right and left sides of the truck.
3. Use an offset Phillips head screwdriver to remove the bottom screw from both the right and left windshield reveal moldings. Use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the four upper screws from both the right and left windshield reveal moldings.
4. Do not clean the grease pencil marks off the windshield. Clean the windshield between the grease marks and the windshield edges with denatured alcohol and a towel. Also, clean the underside of the reveal moldings that cover the windshield with denatured alcohol and a towel.
5. Unroll the double-sided tape. Do not remove the paper backing yet. Hold the tape against the right or left side of the windshield between the grease pencil mark and the windshield edge. Align the bottom edge of the tape at the bottom of the windshield and cut the tape with scissors where it meets the top molding of the windshield. Cut another piece of tape to the same length for the opposite side of the truck.
6. Remove about 25mm of the paper backing from one side of one of the pieces of tape. Starting at the bottom edge of the windshield top molding, install the tape between the grease pencil mark and the windshield edge. Install the remaining tape by pressing the the tape onto the windshield between the grease pencil mark and the windshield edge while removing the paper backing from the bottom side of the tape. Do not remove the paper backing on the top side of the tape yet. The tape may overhand the edge of the windshield in some places, but the tape should not need to be trimmed. Install the second piece of tape to the opposite side of the truck in the same manner as the first piece of tape.
7. Reinstall the windshield reveal moldings to the truck.
8. Lift the edge of the reveal molding in order to remove the paper packing on the tape. Press the reveal molding against the tape. Do the same to the opposite reveal molding.
9. Carefully trim any exposed tape that is on the windshield and not covered by the reveal molding. However, trimming will not be necessary, if the tape is installed properly between the grease pencil marks and the windshield edges.
10. Clean the grease pencil marks off the windshield.
11. Reinstall the roof drip weatherstrips starting in the rear top corners.

00z71sierra
Old 01-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Teching In

I had this issue with a none GM bugshield and basically did what the instructions below said to do and I haven't heard a sound since. I was sooooo anoying before, now its wonderful. Im actually looking into the Brown Bread sound deading stuff to make it even more quiet. Oh Im new here!! Hello everyone!!

2004 Silverado EC.

Originally Posted by 00z71sierra
Here you go, straight from Mr. Goodwrench's mouth:

1. Use a grease pencil to trace from top to bottom the contours of the right and left reveal moldings onto the windshield.
2. Remove the roof drip weatherstrip from both the right and left sides of the truck.
3. Use an offset Phillips head screwdriver to remove the bottom screw from both the right and left windshield reveal moldings. Use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the four upper screws from both the right and left windshield reveal moldings.
4. Do not clean the grease pencil marks off the windshield. Clean the windshield between the grease marks and the windshield edges with denatured alcohol and a towel. Also, clean the underside of the reveal moldings that cover the windshield with denatured alcohol and a towel.
5. Unroll the double-sided tape. Do not remove the paper backing yet. Hold the tape against the right or left side of the windshield between the grease pencil mark and the windshield edge. Align the bottom edge of the tape at the bottom of the windshield and cut the tape with scissors where it meets the top molding of the windshield. Cut another piece of tape to the same length for the opposite side of the truck.
6. Remove about 25mm of the paper backing from one side of one of the pieces of tape. Starting at the bottom edge of the windshield top molding, install the tape between the grease pencil mark and the windshield edge. Install the remaining tape by pressing the the tape onto the windshield between the grease pencil mark and the windshield edge while removing the paper backing from the bottom side of the tape. Do not remove the paper backing on the top side of the tape yet. The tape may overhand the edge of the windshield in some places, but the tape should not need to be trimmed. Install the second piece of tape to the opposite side of the truck in the same manner as the first piece of tape.
7. Reinstall the windshield reveal moldings to the truck.
8. Lift the edge of the reveal molding in order to remove the paper packing on the tape. Press the reveal molding against the tape. Do the same to the opposite reveal molding.
9. Carefully trim any exposed tape that is on the windshield and not covered by the reveal molding. However, trimming will not be necessary, if the tape is installed properly between the grease pencil marks and the windshield edges.
10. Clean the grease pencil marks off the windshield.
11. Reinstall the roof drip weatherstrips starting in the rear top corners.

00z71sierra
Old 01-23-2004, 02:05 PM
14 Second Truck Club

wassup.. welcome to the forum!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

i have a AVS bugflector II and i didn't really notice any noise until i installed the AVS window visors
Old 01-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Thank you very much!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have had the same problem since the truck was new
I put on a shield right away
I also noticed the flaps for the hood hinges - flapping away at 60
I removed them and still had the noise
Annoying as hell