SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my black paint job is old and faded, help me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porter cable 7424 buffer, 5.5" LC orange and white pads, and some meguiars 105/205
Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an old thread of mine, with some before and after pics of my truck when I did the clay bar treatment, as well as a complete detail (my first) using all Meguiar's products. Everyone has their preference as far as product goes, but the Meguiar's was available at my local AutoZone and worked well for me. I've been seeing a lot of info on Adam's polishes around here that sounds really good, and everything that I've ever used by 3M has worked as described

BTW I bought a PorterCable after I detailed my truck...gonna have to practice on mom's and wifey's cars before I tackle my own ride with it lol
Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Here's an old thread of mine, with some before and after pics of my truck when I did the clay bar treatment, as well as a complete detail (my first) using all Meguiar's products. Everyone has their preference as far as product goes, but the Meguiar's was available at my local AutoZone and worked well for me. I've been seeing a lot of info on Adam's polishes around here that sounds really good, and everything that I've ever used by 3M has worked as described

BTW I bought a PorterCable after I detailed my truck...gonna have to practice on mom's and wifey's cars before I tackle my own ride with it lol
where is the thread?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:26 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dry_kill
where is the thread?
Crap, forgot that part somehow lol....lemme go find it again

*EDIT* let's try this again...

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...about+clay+bar
Old 02-28-2010, 01:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dry_kill
well my 02 sierra's paint is looking old and faded. even when i wash and wax it the paint still looks dull. can someone recommend me some products and maybe tools to make my trucks paint pop and look new again? thanks fellas
Sorry I'm late to the party

Based on the picture you posted it looks like you have some pretty bad oxidation and the clear might be failing a little. Keep that in mind as there is only so much you can do once the clear starts to fail.

That being said the best place for you to start is the instructional videos... even before you buy the product its a good idea to see the process in action, get a feel for what you'll need to order to address your specific problem areas, and then go from there. The videos are a VERY broad overview, when you want to get into more specific techniques feel free to shoot me an email or join our forum to read up on the processes.

At a minimum you're going to need to polish to try and remove the oxidation from the paint, and its going to be easiest if you have a machine to do it.

So take a look at the videos here: http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx