SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My paint is F'ed after getting it back from the chassis shop. How to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default My paint is F'ed after getting it back from the chassis shop. How to fix? *Pics added

First of all, this thread is not intended to bad mouth the chassis shop where I had the work done on my truck. For those that feel like posting negative comments with that regard, don't waist your time. This thread was posted with the intention of finding a solution to problem and that is all.

I guess from all the grinding and fab work that goes on in a fab shop this is probably a common problem. The metal dust has coated my paint to the point where it doesn't actually wipe off. I'm afraid if I wash the truck it will scratch the hell out of it while I'm scrubbing it. It won't just rinse off either. I'm worried that the truck will have to be wet sanded and re-polished. Any ideas or tips for this???

Hopefully that presidential detail guy chimes in. I wish him or somebody of his caliber was local to me. I'd gladly pay for a pro to fix this.

Last edited by Blown06; 08-01-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im gonna say your best bet is claybar and then a good buff job starting with an aggressive compund. take it with a grain of salt, as im no paint expert.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest claybar, but to try it in an un-noticable place first to see how it works.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUDDY23
I would suggest claybar, but to try it in an un-noticable place first to see how it works.
This is what I would try first as well.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too would think a claybar will remove the particles, or also Meguires has a Cleaner
Wax that may work.

Like they said try it in a small spot first.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you spend money on trying anything, I would take it to a professional detailer and get his opinion...Or post pics and wait for presidential/dylan to chime in...Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:23 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Have you tried a power washer with steamer?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off the shop should be taking care of this for you, im sure it isnt the first time theyve had this prob. more than likely the clay bar wont take care of it. ive had to buff plenty of cars w/ rail dust problems from train transport. id get an estimate from a rep. body shop to have your truck buffed, polished and waxed. then get back to the chassis shop and show them the estimate. maybe you could atleast get them to pay half. if your going to have to pay for all of it yourself id try to find someone who could tackle this as a "side job" because a shop is prob. going to charge upwards of $300. good luck.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Like stated above, that shop needs to fix this problem... They can prevent paint damage if they take the time to do so. I went to wyotech and we grinded, welded, chopped and torched near painted vehicles all the time, its called PREP.

Not to say its a bad shop, but they should take care of what happened if they are a GOOD shop.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I know a couple different paint/body guys here in town so I'll give them a call tomorrow just to see what they have to say.

Again, please stop posting comments about what the chassis shop should or shouldn't do. That part of this project is between me and them, and I have no complaints so far. I'm simply looking for solutions.

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming if there is something else that hasn't been mentioned. I'll keep yall updated.

Quick Reply: My paint is F'ed after getting it back from the chassis shop. How to fix?