SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a How To on lowering.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i forgot about just breaking the top controll arm loose cause i broke my bottom because i put new control arms. it would be easier to do the top and if you are carefull and well some experience will help you can be sucessful with a fork.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Crazy03
I went to lower my truck today and tried to follow the directions but didnt accomplish my goal. On the front I couldn't get the lower ball joint off, thus not being able to remove the spring.
The rear the gas tank is in the way does that have to come off?
If anyone has any tips or tricks in doing this please let me know or if there is a good write up. I got the ground force kit 3/5 springs in front and new leaf springs and shackle in back. Thanks for any help it will be greatly appreciated.
I just did mine last weekend. Word of advice, quit tryiny to bust loose ball joints!!! A friend of mine told me (After a day of beating and banging on them) I was doing it the hard way, just unbolt LOWER control arm from the frame (2 Bolts). I did this the next day and man, was he right! It was sooo much easier. You dont even need to compress the spring. Just place a jack under the control arm and lower it down really slow. I used a motorcycle tie down wrapped around the spring to insure it wasn't goint to fly out. New spring went right in and only had to use jack for about the last 2 inches.
One thing to make sure of. Be absolutley sure that both springs are positioned the same or one side of the truck will sit lower than the other. This happened to a friend of mine and guess what he got to do all over again.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant imagine anything would be easier or safer than using a spring compressor, especially if you have air tools to speed things along. I'm going to try to set a lowering speed record when I do my trailblazer since it has coils at all 4 corners.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone still have their original directions on how to put coil springs in. like from a hotchkis kit or anything?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by graygmc
anyone still have their original directions on how to put coil springs in. like from a hotchkis kit or anything?
Hotchkis did not provide any direction for the front coils.
I dont think they want the liability.

The thread above put the coils in from the rear - which works
I have always put them in thru the front - never had a problem with a ball joint and never ruined a boot.
But the thread above is right - make sure you get the coil end on the bottom back it the pocket in the control arm - or they will sit different - then you have to do it all over again -
I also transfer over all the rubber bushings and spring sleeves.
Prevent squeaking
Old 04-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

i assume youre using hangers for the back springs if the gas tank is in the way. i left the gas tank in and jb welded the bolt head to a wire coat hanger to snake it up into the frame on drivers side, use a lock washer on the bolt head and impact wrench the bolt head on. then just twist the coat hanger off once the botl is in place and you have the nut on, very tedious though. had to use a long wrench to get @ the back side of the bolt to do a final tighten.
ya tore my ball joints and had to buy new ones, remove the entire control arm and USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR, too much chance to get dead otherwise, or at least ruin a fender or paint job. hope this helps