Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some ideas for 3 Piece Engine Cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some ideas for 3 Piece Engine Cover

I purchased a 3-piece engine cover and I'd like to get some ideas on what color to paint, and if there's someone out there that knows how to do it, how much will you charge. I'd like to at least get the "6000" removed.

I still have the burnt orange and blue paint that I have on the truck available.

Thanks.. Lisa
Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lisa look up Morepowerty, I think that's his name on here. He does some sick airbrush work. He's gonna do mine when I finally decide what I want to do with them.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

I found the link and thanks for the reference. But I think that's a little too elaborate for me. But all very pretty and very well done.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always just buy the vortec max middle cover piece. I think it would look very good with just the middle changed and leave it black.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea he can do some very intricate work. I just figured he might could paint yours and do somethin simple for you if thats what youre looking for. I just painted my 3 piece cover but I left the Vortec 6000 because it came stock in my truck so I dont have any tips as to removing that.

I wanted mine to still have that textured look so I just sanded mine a little and painted them metallic black and cleared it. They have a nice shine to them but its not glossy like the paint on a truck will be. Its just a nice little touch that when you look you'll see but it doesnt just stand out. I think it makes the engine compartment flow together really well.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the same covers, here is what I did:
Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not the best at prepare and paint... is there a thread that will show me your process? And out of the three colors that I have on the truck what should I go with for the covers?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
You could always just buy the vortec max middle cover piece. I think it would look very good with just the middle changed and leave it black.
Yeah thought of that, but then I'd be stuck with the 6000 cover.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Prepping for paint depends on what result you want. If you want them to be really glossy like the paint on your truck with absolutely no texture, go buy a bunch of sandpaper and get started. If you dont mind the texture then start with 320 grit and sand until everything has been knocked down a good bit. Once youve done that you can wash the covers. I use antibacterial hand soap and warm water. After you do that dry them really well and wipe them down with a tack rag. After that look them over really well. Youre looking for any scratches that are left from the 320. If there are quite a few of them go back and hit the pieces with 600 grit. Then wipe them down with the tack rag again. You want to make sure they are all sanded evenly and that it all looks nice and uniform.

For the painting process I start with adhesion promoter. Wipe the pieces down with wax and grease remover and let it dry. Then you can spray your adhesion promoter. After that you can start with your primer, then base coat, then your clear.

Thats just a rough run down of one way you can do it. Just remember that when you are painting, your prep will always decide the outcome. If you halfass the prep, then it WILL show in your finished product.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stone150
I bought the same covers, here is what I did:
I like that look, just painted the middle piece, fuse cover and fan cover.. nice and clean. How did you have the "Vortec 6000" symbol removed? Did you use the the 320 and then to the 600 grit like Ws6 mentioned?

I'm going to keep the ridges in the middle piece on. That looks a little too much to deal with.

No one has mentioned a color. A friend mentioned to me to have the paint match the pattern on the truck, blue on the botton, burnt orange in the middle, and white on the top which I believe would look sick, but very costly.

Quick Reply: Need some ideas for 3 Piece Engine Cover