Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some tips and advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some tips and advice

Hey guys, i have a couple questions about fixing some scratches and swirling on the truck.

first off is it possible to get rid of the swirl marks? i have a sponge i normally use, its an automotive sponge and "i" only use it for washing my truck, but i have a feeling a roomate might have used it for somethign else, because last night after goin to teh carwash i noticed that my entire truck was covered with slight little scratch marks. great. so whats gonna be the next step.??

should i wash it again and use a scratch remover, clay bar.... or what... and if anyone has any tips on washing and or polishing and waxing im open to any advice i can get. i really want it to shine like some of the trucks in here, but i just dont have the know how to do it.

by the way its a 99 and it has spots where the paint is missing on the back fenders and has a little nic or scratch here or there, its a truck and i drive it like a race car but use it for its truck abilities as well.

thanks andy
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

check out autopia.org there are quite a few how-to's and such that should get you going in the right direction. start by throwing that sponge in the garbage
Old 06-16-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

And stay away from chamois! yes the swirls can come out, use a clay bar, rubbing compound, polish then wax and you should be good to go.
it can be done by hand but you wont get the same results as with a buffer, and not a random orbital buffer.

check that site^^^^ and do a search i started a thread about buffing three months ago and there have been multiple since then good luck!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Teching In

sweet deal, ill be on there tonight looking around. thanks for the help, i figured it was going to take some good old elbow grease, but its gonna be worth it in the end.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

yeah it took me about 24 hours over the course of three days, because i didnt research enough, but there is lots of info here and deffinatly check ls1tech.com they have even more
Old 06-16-2008, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Autopia is a great site. Following up on what the other folks have mentioned...in no particular order.

- Definitely get rid of the sponge. Microfiber or sheepskin are the materials of choice when washing. Invest in a second bucket for rinsing (search for "two bucket method" on autopia) and you'll be good to go. Believe it or not, incorrect washing & drying techniques cause more swirls than any other type of damage.

- The clay bar is a great tool, but it's not for swirls, mars, or scratches. In fact, it may introduce a a bit of marring as you use it. It will remove contaminants (acid rain, tar, bird droppings, etc.) that have bonded to the finish - many of which you won't know are there. It's amazing what it removes from the finish, and you'll notice how much more smooth the paint feels after claying. I mainly mention it here so you don't have any misconceptions about what it can and can't do.

- You can do quite a bit of paint correction with a random/orbital buffer. I do all my details with the standard tool - the Porter Cable 7424. A rotary buffer is more powerful, offering much more cutting power as well as quicker results. It is very...VERY...difficult to remove swirls and marring by hand. You can temporarily hide swirls and light scratches with glazes and most carnauba waxes. That, like paint correction in general, is a whole other topic.

- Lots of other great sites out there too. Autopia is my favorite, but detailcity, autogeek, detailedimage, and a whole slew of others are great and, frankly, are often more tailored to the beginning detailer.

Good luck with your truck and have fun!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i just dont like people jumping in trying to get professional results with the random orbitals, they do have their purpose but deep scratches and wet sanding scratches will not come out with one ask me how i know...
they do work well for fine swirls and waxing. and its hard to burn through clear with one

anyways lots of good info. it was long and hard but i learned alot from it and am glad i gave it a try!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help guys... i wont be able to do much about it for another month or so really, i live in an apartment complex, but im moving into a house in july so i have a garage there and definately can sit down and really clean it up. Ya im gonna drop some money and get the correct supplies too.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Look at this..... I love zaino
and i bet yours isnt this bad anyway.. So there is hope.....
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ighlight=zaino
Old 06-16-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Zaino is great for filling in swirls - it's probably the most durable glaze/sealer combo that I've seen.

Re: wet-sanding...no doubt you're talking rotary - and wool pad - at that point. I was commenting on the original post about swirls. With a PC, the right pads & products, and some patience, you can do quite a bit of corrective work.

Quick Reply: need some tips and advice