SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM or Aftermarket Foglights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:27 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me fog lights are a waste. I don't get enough fog to warrant having them so I'd buy Driving Lights. Something like the PIAA units which can be had in fog style or driving light style. Driving lights shine in a much more narrow beam and focus the light WAAAAY out in front of you which makes high speed driving down country roads really nice. I hate my factory fog lights. They show me crap right about the same time I would hit whatever it is that would jump out in front of me. LOL
Old 06-16-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I guess i just want my fog lights for looks since I have HID's and I dont really need them......
Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Egrajeda
I guess i just want my fog lights for looks since I have HID's and really need them......

Then get OEM units, nothing will fit better.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Then get OEM units, nothing will fit better.

Yeah thats what Im going to do
Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Hmm 4 foglights you say....I live in the country so driving lights would be good too. Maybe I should get both and blind all oncoming traffic with my HIDs, driving lights and fog lights.....What about this: Get OEM foglights with the button and all that and put them in the "foglight spot" and put driving lights in the tow hook spot. Or do you think thats too many lights on the front since it is a sport truck?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wes00silverado
Hmm 4 foglights you say....I live in the country so driving lights would be good too. Maybe I should get both and blind all oncoming traffic with my HIDs, driving lights and fog lights.....What about this: Get OEM foglights with the button and all that and put them in the "foglight spot" and put driving lights in the tow hook spot. Or do you think thats too many lights on the front since it is a sport truck?

Well I think that would be too many lights up front but thats just my opinion if you like it go for it man............
Old 06-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Alright I thought of another question. When installing the OEM foglights do you have to cut the plastic out and mount the light behind the bumper or do you mount it inside the foglight hole infront of the plastic and drill holes for the wires?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes00silverado
Alright I thought of another question. When installing the OEM foglights do you have to cut the plastic out and mount the light behind the bumper or do you mount it inside the foglight hole infront of the plastic and drill holes for the wires?

The first one is how you'll do it, they mount behind the air dam. Here is the part # for the fog lamp kit for 99-02 - 12495928 - it includes the fog lamp assemblies, wiring, and switch for the dash and costs around $100. You'll have to get your BCM reprogrammed for the fogs to work.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everyone else has said, OEM will fill the hole the best and "fit" the truck. I installed the factory lights in mine and it was easy and made the front of the truck look much better. I think if you went with fog and driving lights that would be too much.

As far as installing them, the valance will need to be cut out for them to fit. I did this with a dremel tool. I attempted to make the cuts as straight as possible, but once I put the lights in you couldn't tell anyways.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Thats cool thanks a lot for the info. I'll prolly go and order them in the next week or so. I'll take pics after I get my hood, 20s, and foglights on. Might be a little while but oh well. Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: OEM or Aftermarket Foglights?