SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opaque Windshield - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Connecticut is the same way about windshield replacements. I think we actually get 2 per year. I did one on my truck and one on my civic and my insurance never questioned me about anything. I know they're two different vehicles, but iirc it doesn't matter and you can get 2 per vehicle.

Anyway, my buddy owns the glass shop and I've asked him about polishing glass. He said you can do it but it is a major pain and to top it off if you don't do it correctly you can actually distort your view. Think about a funhouse mirror, if you remove more material in one area than another your gonna distort the light passing through the glass. It's just easier to replace the glass than it is to polish it, but yes, it can be done. Also, most places should have primer that they apply before they put urethane in the channel to hold the glass in place. So yeah, they'll scratch it where no one would ever see it and it would be covered and sealed with urethane anyway, but my buddies shop always applies primer with a cotton swab looking thing that would cover any scratches anyway.

Just my $.02