Sponsored by:

Paint help for scratches or suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint help for scratches or suggestions

Okay,

I need some help on how to fix alot of dog scratches on the side of bed. I am deployed in afghanistan, and when my truck is not in use it becomes the garbage hauler.. Now the the counties dogs had an orgy in the back of the truck the scratches are freaking the length of the bed and on the tailgate. Can it be buffed out or colored sanded and then polished? or can I have it sanded and recleared. ( truck color is gun metal) Can you reclear older paint? I will be paying someone to do it, since I can't riht now. I don't have the time to do searches on on the net, so my internet is limited. thanks in advance for any and all help.....

later ski
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance of getting pictures?

Options could really vary depending on the severity of the scratches.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

What I always try to do is rub the scratch with a cleaner wax first to see if it is light enough to rub out like that. If it's not completely through the clear (can you feel the scratch with your nail?) and that doesn't work I try a little polishing compound, rb it out and then wax.
Of course if it's through the clear completely then you will need to take it to a paint shop
Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

You would be surprised what wax or polishing compound will do, I like mothers the best!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trever1t
Of course if it's through the clear completely then you will need to take it to a paint shop
This is not true. A scratch can be completely through the clear and as long as it doesnt penetrate the base, it can be repaired. Most scratches that are completely through the clear, will need more than a buffing (ie wetsanding).May take some time and an experieced person but very do-able.

To the OP, depending on what type of scratches they are will determine the repair. Light scratches usually wont catch your fingernail and can usually be "hand" compounded out. If your fingernail catches they are classified as medium scratches and penetrate the clear. These are usually repaired by buffing and depending on the depth of the scratch, may need to be wetsanded then buffed. If you have heavy scratches (which are highly unlikely with dog scratches) these penetrate the clear and base coat (metal showing) and depending on the length, can either be touched up or re-paint the panel.

I do paint repair/reconditioning for a living and if you have some detailed pics, i can pretty much tell you what needs to be done.

Last edited by groundpoundinlt1; 03-31-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Good to know So case in point, someone hit my plastic lower bumper and went through the clear but didn't take off the paint I can lightly wetsand with what 2000? and then just polish/wax?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i were you bill i'd try 2000, then 5000 and then wax/dual-action. to the OP, yes you can have old paint sanded and re-cleared. we did that to save my roof . that being said, you need to closely examine the damage to your base-coat and clear-coat in order to see where the damage stops. if the damage goes all the way through to the base coat (which unfortunately is probably going to be the case; i've had personal experience with dog claws and paint), then the surface will need to be repainted. that being said, if the truck's paint is over 5-6 years old, you will notice the difference between old paint and new paint unless you repaint the whole vehicle.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trever1t
Good to know So case in point, someone hit my plastic lower bumper and went through the clear but didn't take off the paint I can lightly wetsand with what 2000? and then just polish/wax?
Paint on plastic is alot weaker/thinner and easier to burn than metal but there is a possibilty to save it. When you said someone hit you, did it just scratch and scuff it up? If you dont have a rotary buffer or cant find one to borrow, you will need to use several different grits. Depending on the scratches you can start will 2000 then go to a finer grit before going to 5000. If you dont have a buffer, 5000 wont get the 2000 sand marks out. After 5000 you will need a heavy cut compound and alot of elbow grease on a applicator pad. After that a good polishing compound or wax over the area will bring the luster to a mirror.

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
if the truck's paint is over 5-6 years old, you will notice the difference between old paint and new paint unless you repaint the whole vehicle.
Most body shops now, i know we use dupont programs, have different formulas for a vehicles paint code to take age, etc into consideration. The paint wont match 5 year old paint but after blending adjacent panels, most people wouldnt be able to tell and saves alot of money.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the information. I called home and asked a lot of questions, as for the reply. I do not think any of them are to deep, she could not feel the scratches with the fingernail. My question if i have it wet sanded, does'nt that take some of the clear off also.? I will probably let the body shop handle it...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

wet sanding will take off a great deal of your clear, but will fix a lot of other problems in the process, such as bird droppings, swirl marks, etc. if the vehicle has never been buffed/wet sanded before, then you will have no problems.

Quick Reply: Paint help for scratches or suggestions