Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint help for scratches or suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ski7541
TMy question if i have it wet sanded, does'nt that take some of the clear off also.? I will probably let the body shop handle it...
If you fingernail is not really catching on any scratches then wetsanding is probably not neccesary. They should be able to be buffed out with a rotary and a heavy cut compound followed by a lighter compound and a polish to eliminate any trails/swirls created.

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
wet sanding will take off a great deal of your clear, but will fix a lot of other problems in the process, such as bird droppings, swirl marks, etc. if the vehicle has never been buffed/wet sanded before, then you will have no problems.
You would have to sand for a long period of time with alot of pressure to remove alot of clear. If wetsanding is ever used as a repair method, the key is sanding just enough to remove or hide the scratch and/or defects. This means wetsandomg a little, buffing, then inspecting, then repeat as needed. Wetsanding is a quick fix for scratches and paint defects RATHER than spending the money to paint an entire panel. Unless you get alot of scratches in the same area of a previous wetsanding repair, you will never have any issues. Wetsanding is never neccesary to remove swirl marks
Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice already here... keep in mind that wet sanding and/or rotary buffing if you're not comfortable with it is probably something you want to leave to a professional.

I typically advocate taking the least aggressive approach first. Try to polish it out with a DA, if that doesn't get you where you want to go maybe look into having it wet sanded and buffed out by a pro.

A guy over on the camaro forum just had a nasty key mark taken out and the shop charged him $80... much better than trying something you're not capable of taking on and ending up having to reshoot the panel.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by groundpoundinlt1
If you fingernail is not really catching on any scratches then wetsanding is probably not neccesary. ... Wetsanding is never neccesary to remove swirl marks[/B]
i used swirl marks only as an additional example. i meant that wetsanding to correct a defect that goes down into the clear would take off a large amount of paint.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by groundpoundinlt1
This is not true. A scratch can be completely through the clear and as long as it doesnt penetrate the base, it can be repaired. Most scratches that are completely through the clear, will need more than a buffing (ie wetsanding).May take some time and an experieced person but very do-able.

To the OP, depending on what type of scratches they are will determine the repair. Light scratches usually wont catch your fingernail and can usually be "hand" compounded out. If your fingernail catches they are classified as medium scratches and penetrate the clear. These are usually repaired by buffing and depending on the depth of the scratch, may need to be wetsanded then buffed. If you have heavy scratches (which are highly unlikely with dog scratches) these penetrate the clear and base coat (metal showing) and depending on the length, can either be touched up or re-paint the panel.

I do paint repair/reconditioning for a living and if you have some detailed pics, i can pretty much tell you what needs to be done.
Thanks for the info. I have one scratch on the truck I just bought. I'm going to try and buff it out, but I might be hitting you up for a little help.