Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Prep??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Prep??

Im about ready to get my caddy handles painted at a dealership, and I have sanded my tailgate handle smooth to get painted too. My question is, did any of you guys prep the tailgate handle, like primer it or anything or did you just send it to the painter as bare plastic? And has anyone had problems with paint from that dealership before?

thanks!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

i used a plastic primer (for flexibility issues) as well as a high build primer which helps to smooth out where you may not have sanded so well. Always remember to use an adhesive promotor if you do any primer/prepwork. It'll do you no good if the paint sticks to the primer but the primer doesnt stick to the piece your painting. Hope this helps. and go for it, you'll be happy with the look!
Old 02-27-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, sick looking truck you got.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sanded my handle myself, the finest paper i used was 1200 wet, and i sent it to the paint shop bare plastic and they painted it, haven't had a problem since october. I really like the look, and i'm sure u will too.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I painted mine from bare plastic...i did use an adhesion promotor though. I was told at the paint shop not to bother with the primer when using the adheshion promotor on small plastic pieces. It really helps tie together the back end being painted, at least until i can get it shaved
Old 03-01-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I gave the handles to my friend to give to the painter today, and had allready sprayed the tailgate handle with adhesion promoter and primed them black.... i should have them back this weekend, I payed $50 total for them all to be painted, What did everyone else pay??

Originally Posted by Y2KSierra
I painted mine from bare plastic...i did use an adhesion promotor though. I was told at the paint shop not to bother with the primer when using the adheshion promotor on small plastic pieces. It really helps tie together the back end being painted, at least until i can get it shaved
Did you paint them yourself?? If so where did you get the paint and how did they turn out??
Old 03-01-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't pay anything because they sparyed them for me when i had some insurance paintwork done. I just lucked out i guess.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChevyTrukRacer99
I didn't pay anything because they sparyed them for me when i had some insurance paintwork done. I just lucked out i guess.

same here
Old 03-03-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by drkblusierra
I gave the handles to my friend to give to the painter today, and had allready sprayed the tailgate handle with adhesion promoter and primed them black.... i should have them back this weekend, I payed $50 total for them all to be painted, What did everyone else pay??

Did you paint them yourself?? If so where did you get the paint and how did they turn out??
I painted them myself. Got the paint and clear from a local auto paint store. Had enough to do my tailgate handle, dash bezel, and underhood parts. Turned out pretty good i think.

Here is a photo i snapped awhile back while they were curing
Old 03-03-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Y2K Those look great, sorry if this seems retarded, but can you buy the paint in a spray can? or did they have to mix up the paint for you? how much was it? and whats the paint code I should be looking for?

Quick Reply: Paint Prep??