SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting the black plastic stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting the black plastic stuff...

...like the black on my grille, mirrors, and bumper caps. I've heard of guys doing it with rattle cans and it coming out great. I have no money to buy parts, so I'd end up sanding and smoothing myself, unless there is something that can be sprayed on to avoid all that. What about plastic adhesion promoter, anybody recommend something like that?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
...like the black on my grille, mirrors, and bumper caps. I've heard of guys doing it with rattle cans and it coming out great. I have no money to buy parts, so I'd end up sanding and smoothing myself, unless there is something that can be sprayed on to avoid all that. What about plastic adhesion promoter, anybody recommend something like that?
Bill....the Bowtie and Rear pads I Painted on my truck....using Duplicolor Products,.....Their Adhesion Promoter....Grey Primer...Perfect Match Paint and their Clear Coat.....I wish you could see these parts I painted in-person...I could not be any more Pleased with the Finished Product!!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Baltimore Whore

Sand it kinda smooth, then clean with thinner, or acetone( You want it a tiny bit ruff, so the prom has something to bite into).. Next addy promoter, then prime.. Sand the primer with 1500-2000, then dust it with the color you want to do it.. While it is still wet, do it again.. Then once it is all evenly coated, continue to do light coats of paint untill it is completely painted... Just make sure you get good even coats.. Let that get tacky, almost dry, then clear it.. Do the clear a little heaver on each coat.. If you plan to wet sand it with 2k when your done, a run here or there will not hurt it.. I have turned out some extremely nice shaky bomb stuff.. Key is to not rush the prep..
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by MADS99
Bill....the Bowtie and Rear pads I Painted on my truck....using Duplicolor Products,.....Their Adhesion Promoter....Grey Primer...Perfect Match Paint and their Clear Coat.....I wish you could see these parts I painted in-person...I could not be any more Pleased with the Finished Product!!
Thanks Mike, actually it was your pm and thread that got me to thinking about doing this If and when I do it, I'd like to get new chrome mirror caps, and possibly a new grille as the chrome strip in mine is now over 12 years old and looks fairly weathered.

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Sand it kinda smooth, then clean with thinner, or acetone( You want it a tiny bit ruff, so the prom has something to bite into).. Next addy promoter, then prime.. Sand the primer with 1500-2000, then dust it with the color you want to do it.. While it is still wet, do it again.. Then once it is all evenly coated, continue to do light coats of paint untill it is completely painted... Just make sure you get good even coats.. Let that get tacky, almost dry, then clear it.. Do the clear a little heaver on each coat.. If you plan to wet sand it with 2k when your done, a run here or there will not hurt it.. I have turned out some extremely nice shaky bomb stuff.. Key is to not rush the prep..
Thanks for the thorough explanation John...and you're 1000% right, it's all in the prep So when you coming over to do it for me?

Oh yea, I want to do the grey front lower valance too...
Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Baltimore Whore

LOL no prob brotha.. **** if you wernt 2+ hours from me, no probs.. I would do it for beers
Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
LOL no prob brotha.. **** if you wernt 2+ hours from me, no probs.. I would do it for beers
Thanks brotha, I knew that you'd be game...and there's a liquor store in walking distance I think that you should take a ride to Jersey so you can run your truck at Englishtown Raceway Park or Island Dragway...maybe even Atco. Then you can swing by my joint and pretty up my uglyish black plastic
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you take the bumper pieces off what do you use to put them back on? I've already done my lower valance but that was just little plastic push thingies
Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Thanks brotha, I knew that you'd be game...and there's a liquor store in walking distance I think that you should take a ride to Jersey so you can run your truck at Englishtown Raceway Park or Island Dragway...maybe even Atco. Then you can swing by my joint and pretty up my uglyish black plastic
I'm planning on doing this same thing to my grille, door handles, and mirror caps this summer.

My buddy who's probably going to help out (and shoot a bit himself) when I shoot your truck works at a body shop, maybe the 3 of us can have a sanding party.

I think you might have met him at the ETown swap meet last spring?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

use th prompter first then put three good wet coast wait bout 5-10 min flash time the sand with 320 repeat til texture gone then water sand it with a 600 grit them hammer the clear if ur doing clear...put ont good wet slick coat of clear n sand it with a 1500 n reclear it .....make sure ur fan it about 8-10'' away from the part for sexy slick finish
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

04 buroban use an ruber hammer with duck type n beat on but becarful u might break the tibs so when u do it work in the middle n work out wards left to right or vis vera

Quick Reply: Painting the black plastic stuff...