Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting plastic

A shinny red extracab with a chrome front bumper $32K
A black plastic upper bumper cover $75
A gray plastic air dam $75

Putting it all on the front on my truck, STOOPID!!!!!!

Anyway, has anyone successfully painted their plastic bumper cover and air dam? If so, what all is involved and does it last?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

You'll have to sand the pieces smooth. I've seen them done without sanding them smooth, but it always looks like crap (texture) and peels off soon from minor rock hits. When they are sanded smooth and prepped correctly you should have no problems. I would advise using an adhesion promotor and a proper plastic cleaner before you start sanding (to remove anything greasy on the cap) as well as after you are done sanding and get it ready for paint.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

from what i have gathered here over the years is that it would take a whole lot of sanding. that would be the most challenging part. i sanded down my bowtie, primed, painted, and clearcoated it. came out great. if it were me in your situation, i would by a silverado SS street scene front clip, take it to a dealer, have them color match it.

Old 11-18-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

sorry, didn't see you had an 04

Old 11-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
from what i have gathered here over the years is that it would take a whole lot of sanding. that would be the most challenging part. i sanded down my bowtie, primed, painted, and clearcoated it. came out great. if it were me in your situation, i would by a silverado SS street scene front clip, take it to a dealer, have them color match it.

I have a good friend that owns a body shop. Painting is not a problem. The ONLY reason I didn't want to put on the StreetScene cover, is I don't want to loose my fog lights. I didn't think about the texture. Maybe someone will come out with an alternative bumper cover that will let me keep the fogs.

Also, I have seen fiberglass SS bumper covers on Ebay. Do you think that would be better or worse than the StreetScene?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

i would try for an aftermarket bumber cover. since you have someone to paint it, you are all set then

Old 11-18-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to keep your bumper cap, you can get a paintable cap from the dealer, i got one cause i didn't want to have to do all that sanding, it was like $115, but to me it was worth it.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just paint your stuff, it'll look WAY cleaner than some cheesy aftermarket cover that'll never fit right IMO!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had a body shop spray my black plastic pieces body color on my '03
They didnt sand them smooth, they just shot it with the paint gun and it stuck and looked good to me. Never had a problem with the paint peeling either.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
i would try for an aftermarket bumber cover. since you have someone to paint it, you are all set then

Now I like this one. I read on the website it is designed around the factory fog lights. Also, I REALLY want to get an intercooled ProCharger at some point, and that opening would be perfect for a FMIC. However, I don't like looks the opening in the center without an intercooler in it.

I will probably try painting the cap and air dam first. It will only cost me a pint of paint. Then, when I get the ProCharger, some day , I'll get the Xenon cover and mount the IC in the opening. Polished of course.

Quick Reply: Painting plastic