Sponsored by:

pic of PIAA airdam on '99 Z71

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got both airdam and foglamps at truckperformance.com

you can get them through TByrne as well

the airdam was about $169 and the lights were $139. i am estimating those numbers, not too sure. i am assuming it can be painted. it is a smooth black plastic. nothing you would have to sand down like the other bumper components on our trucks. TByrne has a picture of a green 3/4 ton at the top of this page, and also on their website. looked good with the billet grill inserts. kind of wish i did that. i put a speed grille on mine. looks fine. i don't have pics of it yet though
Old 11-01-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Looks nice im trying to get my buddy to get that on his 01 Tahoe. I bet those PIAAs out shine your headlights too, huh. I got PIAA bulbs and fogs in my Z28 i got the Super Whites love em blinds the **** out of people when I kick the high beams on.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maddboost
Looks nice im trying to get my buddy to get that on his 01 Tahoe. I bet those PIAAs out shine your headlights too, huh. I got PIAA bulbs and fogs in my Z28 i got the Super Whites love em blinds the **** out of people when I kick the high beams on.
they are brighter than my high beams. i got flashed by like 4-5 cars with in 2 minutes. i think i might have to re-aim them. i noticed one of my bulbs blew already this morning. that sucks, they were in there for only a few days. it has been raining the past 2 days, so i wonder if it has to do with water getting inside somewhere. i noticed last night the one bulb was not as bright as the other. then this morning it ended up not work after a few minutes of driving. any suggestions? i didn't use lightbulb grease at all, but that should not affect it this early. i cleaned the bulbs with rubbing alcohol before they were installed too
Old 11-02-2003, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JSmith
Looks cool man! I imagine those 40 series are bright. How did you wire the lights?
i was going to use the existing wires from the stock foglamps, but i decided not to because i might get a smaller set of lights to put in the towhook openings. so i used the wires that came with the kit. it has 2 wires that connect directly to the +/- terminals on the battery, then it has another wire that you hookup inside the cab as a power supply to the on/off switch. i hooked that wire to my amp turn-on wire (using a wire tap), therefore they turn on as soon as my truck starts. no need to turn on parking/head lights. then when i turn of my truck, the lights go out. that helps so that i never leave the lights on when i am not around. the on/off switch i used 3M double sided tape to fasten it to the dash. overall, it is easy to do. it looks clean too
Old 11-02-2003, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

You have to be very careful with PIAA bulbs they are prone to blow if not taken care of. I personally have had PIAA hi and low beam bulbs and PIAA fogs for a year and half and have never had a single bulb go out. And one of my headlight housings had a big hole in it from a truck tire that hit the front of my car. Got snow and water in there but never blew. You have to be very careful installing the bulbs because one spot of grease from human hands will prematurely end the bulbs, PIAAs run very hot compared to most other bulbs, the grease on your hands will only make that worse.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
i was going to use the existing wires from the stock foglamps, but i decided not to because i might get a smaller set of lights to put in the towhook openings. so i used the wires that came with the kit. it has 2 wires that connect directly to the +/- terminals on the battery, then it has another wire that you hookup inside the cab as a power supply to the on/off switch. i hooked that wire to my amp turn-on wire (using a wire tap), therefore they turn on as soon as my truck starts. no need to turn on parking/head lights. then when i turn of my truck, the lights go out. that helps so that i never leave the lights on when i am not around. the on/off switch i used 3M double sided tape to fasten it to the dash. overall, it is easy to do. it looks clean too
Cool, that's how I wired the driving lights on my beater Mazda pickup. Never have to worry about leaving the lights on.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maddboost
You have to be very careful with PIAA bulbs they are prone to blow if not taken care of. I personally have had PIAA hi and low beam bulbs and PIAA fogs for a year and half and have never had a single bulb go out. And one of my headlight housings had a big hole in it from a truck tire that hit the front of my car. Got snow and water in there but never blew. You have to be very careful installing the bulbs because one spot of grease from human hands will prematurely end the bulbs, PIAAs run very hot compared to most other bulbs, the grease on your hands will only make that worse.

i definitely made sure there was no grease/oil on those bulbs. i cleaned them twice with alcohol. it just pisses my off because i was so careful with them.