Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much did it cost for the paint job?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The paint job and its cost is a slight problem. I do phone work for a living and have for 10 years. The painter leased a new building and need electrical, phone, cable, and networking for the entire office/shop. I did it all, at first it was a cut and buff job on my red 1500 that I had when he only wanted a couple outlets and phone, and network. He added a lot of work and so I said I would trade out him painting the Yukon for me. Fast foward 2 years......yes 2 MFing years and he finally gets the truck in after complaining like a pregnant bitch on her period. I gave him 750 to make sure that everything was fair and he felt like I wasn't trying to dick him over. Anyway, he finally got done and did a rush job. I still have to take it and have it cut and buffed since he didn't do the whole thing. The silver stripe he pulled the tape before it was dry so the line isn't as crisp so I will have to have it pinstriped anyway. If I would have paid for the paint job it would have been about 3500, it seems that here lately Bo has let his quality fall by the wayside far too much. He quoted a paintjob for an Avalanche at 2500 and said, "that is good enough they only paid 2500 so they are ahead of the game" I thought WTF you wanted to do the truck, needed the money and quoted 2500 so how is their paintjob ahead of the game paying what you quoted. It is kind of funny because he is **** out of luck because I wanted some work done on the duallie and Camaro very soon and he won't be touching either......so I am looking for a good painter ASAP
Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That sucks bigtime about the crap paintjob.....I've got plans for my truck in the far future....new color paintjob....a sweet blue and a denali front end, and a drop
Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
......so I am looking for a good painter ASAP
Good luck, mine is pretty decent (last time had overspray all over my brand new engine, but the body came out good) but he's had my Camaro since October.... You find a good painter who is fair and does good work, let me know about it too.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

I had an excellent body guy here. Unfortunately, he just retired, and you could tell it. My yukon was one of his last paint jobs, and it could have been better.

His son has started his own business, and I have heard nothing but excellent stuff about his shop. I am going to check in with him pretty soon about the malibu.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
no title here

Your Yukon was aweful Andy, he did a terrible job of matching the color on the quarter panel or blending the color. I have a friend that does paint jobs but he doesn't have a booth and let's alot of stuff slip out that I wished he would spend more time on. I am going to after the Yukon is done having the stereo put in and talk with Bo and give him one last chance to make it right. Here is his website http://www.pittmanspaint.com/Index.html he is crazy talented I just hope he was going through some tough times. I will see once I get the truck back from having the stereo put in and ask him about fixing the issues left from his "quality work"
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Your Yukon was aweful Andy, he did a terrible job of matching the color on the quarter panel or blending the color.
He painted everything on the yukon but the 4 doors, so it really wasn't so bad. It was good enough you didnt know he painted the front, LOL.

He told me he was 75 years old, and ready to quit.

It wasn't all his fault. The temp dropped hard that day, from the mid-70's to in the 20's by that afternoon. He said he would redo it when it warmed, but given my current circumstances, I'm not all that worried with it.

The white 3/4 ton my Dad had, he painted, and we never got anything but compliments on that thing. He had painted about 15 other cars for me, and when he finished, they were perfect.

People get old, they get tired. It just happens. He didn't really want to do the work, he just did because I was a friend. I won't hold it against him.

Oh yeah, he only charged me $500 for the body work and paint!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
no title here

What I was talking about is how he blending the quarter panel. I honestly didn't look that closely and the front end because of the work we had laid out before us. That is was I don't understand about Bo and the paintjob on the Yukon, he didn't paint the back door because of the striping and they way it was laid out and you can't tell. He matched the color perfect and the metal flake in the color is blended better than anything I have seen. It is just like when it came time to clear the truck he rushed through it. That is one reason I am not so pissed about it just disappointed. I could have the hole truck cut and recleared then buffed again and it would look deep as hell. I think that is what I am going to do anyway to make this paintjob right. That and have the silver stripe pinstriped with some other color like red or something like that. I need to take babysteps anyway. The truck is having all the stereo installed now so once it is done it will get a new windsheild and the alignment double checked and then this weekend a road trip to enjoy and savor the vehicle. Haha