Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinstriping...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinstriping...

Anyone here with some custom pinstriping?

I've been thinking of appearance mods, and I think anything like full-blown Chevelle/Camaro stripes are a little too flashy for me.

I've been considering some conventional pinstriping down the side of the truck. Probably silver. Single line? I think I'd like something custom at the end, like a small section of very thin, "streamlined", pinstriped flames. ( Like the second up from the bottom. ) Maybe just up front. Maybe just a single pinstripe.

Whatever it is, it would need to be rather understated and not too flashy. Something [if you notice] you'll say, "Hey, that's kinda cool..."

The color would most likely be silver... brushed aluminum to flat grey in color. Maybe even as dark as a "ghosted" paint job. (It's a black truck).

Anyone have any good ideas or examples? Maybe just a slap upside my head?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:20 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to go through the trouble, make it at least an accent color. I'm afraid that a brushed aluminum/flat grey would look too much like primer and not enough like a pinstripe. You could do it in subtle, deep colors....maybe a silver/deep red or silver/deep blue?

I know that you don't wanna go this flashy, but my buddy just had some Von-Dutch style striping laid on his Tahoe earlier this year, and I know of another friend that will have some done shortly.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

I hear ya about the color. I was thinking of keeping it a silver to match it to the grey wheels, grey fake-brake-ducts, and the aluminum-looking badges. I can't think of anything else that'd look good, but still stay understated. Maybe white?

I *LOVE* the look of that style pinstriping - but it still might be too flashy for what I'm looking for. I'm quite sure I'll be keeping it just down the sides of the truck, in the "usual" location.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:40 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe incorporate something like that at the front of the stripe, and then continue down the sides of the truck in a single or double straight line? You could still add a little flair to the standard pinstripe w/o going overboard or too flashy.

I would just hate to see you get the truck pinstriped and it end up looking like a dealer tape job. You are talking about getting PAINTED stripes, right?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

That's a really good point...!

It would be painted, no tape.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

When I start on appearance mods I am definetely going to get some Von Dutch style pin stripes. Also I think just the pinstriped outline of flames would look good. Marc_w, I think some pinstripes like scream posted would look great on the tailgate, especially if it is shaved. Just a thought.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. I do have to admit that the pinstripe/outline of traditional style flames is growing on me.

I'll most likely be keeping the rest of the exterior of the truck stock. Probably some wheels down the road, but it'll be a while. Just looking for something to break up that stock look without going crazy or causing a 'chain reaction' in mods.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Marc_w, send me a pic of your truck and I'll photoshop some pinstriping for you so you can get an idea of what it might look like.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Ghost flames and some of the tribal signs that are done in the colorchaging paints are really ssweet and usually go unnoticed by nonenthusiasts.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Cool Jeff... I'll dig one up today...