Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic and Paint???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic and Paint???

Can you paint the plastic on the bumper of a 2003 silverado....I want to paint the front bottom plastic piece and the upper plastic piece...
Old 01-04-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can paint the top one if it is not textured I have one that is not textured and is primed the bottom piece I guess can be but if your bottom piece is textured paint does not like to stick to textured pieces if you can find an untextured bottom it would be better.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trucksleeper
Yes you can paint the top one if it is not textured I have one that is not textured and is primed the bottom piece I guess can be but if your bottom piece is textured paint does not like to stick to textured pieces if you can find an untextured bottom it would be better.
Is your truck a 03?

I painted mine, and the paint is sticking to the textured plastic just fine after a year and a half of daily driving, with the exception of a big rock chip and a spot on the corner where someone hit me in a parking lot . Just be sure to add flex additives and a plastic adhesion promoter to the paint, and make sure you clean the parts really well with something like prep-sol.

I did not sand mine first, so I used a couple coats of thick sealer primer to fill in the texture, wet sanded it, and then painted it. I'll have to sand it though when I fix the screwed up parts.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Textured or smooth, it doesnt matter as long as you sand it right use an adhesion promotor and filler primer on the testured one if you dont get it completely smooth, it will look fine and will not come off, its all about the preperation!!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have any pictures of there 03 painted...... like this
Old 01-06-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

make sure it is well painted or it will flake off like my dumbass friend who did a crappy job on his.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CAMMIN03
Does anyone have any pictures of there 03 painted...... like this
I only did the top one, and my truck is dark, so in the pictures it's hard to tell it's painted. I posted a pic in the "post a picture of your truck" thread in the general section.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Ok, look yall are saying to put all this primer on it and fill in the texture and really by the time you do that you could have bought an untextured one
Old 01-06-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bodyguard6799
Textured or smooth, it doesnt matter as long as you sand it right use an adhesion promotor and filler primer on the testured one if you dont get it completely smooth, it will look fine and will not come off, its all about the preperation!!
I just did this to my grille, I will have pics up soon in the appearance section. Sticks pretty nicely if you do it like this, I have done it to my mirrors and bowtie in the past with no problems.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trucksleeper
Ok, look yall are saying to put all this primer on it and fill in the texture and really by the time you do that you could have bought an untextured one
They don't make an untextured one for 2003-up.

Quick Reply: Plastic and Paint???