Porter Cable Polisher Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porter Cable Polisher Help

I don't know which one to get

http://cpoworkshop.com/polishers/?re...=%7Bkeyword%7D

Remember I'm a newb at detailing, so I really don't know the difference between the 3 listed on that page in the link. How about the re-conditioned one, any good? I'm ready to buy now so I need some help
Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

...couldn't wait, ordered the 7424
Old 07-02-2008, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want the 7424, you can probably find it cheaper on ebay!(http://cgi.ebay.com/Porter-Cable-742...QQcmdZViewItem) you can get your pads(http://autogeek.net/cobra-cross-groove-pads.html) and flex backing plate(http://autogeek.net/lc43125.html) from autogeek
Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks Wesley! What pads do I need?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

...and do I want the 5 or 6" flexible backing plate?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Personally, the smaller pads the better. I'd go with the 5" backing plate. That will allow you to use 5.5" pads. I've been using a 2.75" backing plate with 4" pads, which makes the PC a pretty powerful device. You're best off starting with 5.5" though - good balance between effectiveness, ease of use, and prevention of any type of damage.

My favorite pads are Lake Country ones. Orange for polishing out the swirls and white for final polishing. You can also use gray if you'd like to apply glazes or waxes via PC. Good luck and happy detailing - you'll love it!

Youtube and many of the detailing sites are chock full of information on how to do paint correction with the PC. Probably worth watching some videos before you dig in. The most common mistake most folks make is using too much product and not working it in long enough for it to break down. A few minutes up front will save you time in the long run, and will definitely make you effective with the PC quickly. Have fun!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thank you sir I have a big job ahead on my mom's Toyota Solara, going to try and bring the paint job back to life
Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good deal bro!!! Yup orange lc pads should be your go-to for removing defects. They leave a nice finish also. Do a once over with a white lc pad and it will enhance the gloss even further.

Tip: If you cant remove the defects with an orange pad, do not go to the yellow pad. It leaves quite a bit of haze behind and I found it hard to remove. Autogeek.net has some awesome deals on Lake Country orange pads.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

The yellow pads certainly leave behind hazing, but....that just means they're doing their job. It's just like sanding wood - if you use a heavy grit paper, you'll have to follow it with something more fine. A hint for heavy work - regardless of pad color & abrasiveness of the polish - don't use a water-based lube for the pad. That's where a lot of the hazing is generated. That said - you can do some decent correction with the orange pad - it's definitely my go-to. What polishes are you purchasing?

I mention this because... was your Mom's Solara made in the U.S. or in Japan? If it's a domestically assembled vehicle, that clearcoat will be HARD. It's unlikely you'll do much correction work with an orange pad and the PC. However, the clear on the imported Toyotas is much softer - to the extent that with some patience you'll likely get it swirl-free. Good luck & have fun!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Mom's car is made in Japan...good info you gave me there. I purchased some orange and white pads and the 5" flexy disc. Not sure on which polishes I'm using, figured I'd ask you guys I still have alot of the Meguiar's stuff left, but if you guys say I need something else I'll definitely take your advice

*EDIT* BTW, the Solara is a dark forest green color

Quick Reply: Porter Cable Polisher Help